Acrylic thinner for Tamiya acrylics: thinng but not dissolving

Hi,

some time ago I accidently used out of production thinner from JPS Modell for thinning Tamiya acrylics to be applied as an wash over a basecoat of dried Tamiya acrylic. That worked great because the wash didn´t dissolve the base coat.

I tried this with a variety of other stuff, AK, denat. alc. etc. but all of them dissolve a dried Tamiya base coat. :-(

Do you know of a thinner that doesn´t dissolve the Tamiya acrylics but can be used to thin them?

TIA :-)

The trick to making a wash work is to use dissimilar formulations for the base coat and the wash, so that they're not able to interfere with each other chemically. For example, if you've used Tamiya acrylics for your paint work, use a clay- or oil-based wash over the top of them. Neither will have any effect on your acrylic paint work. I certainly would not be trying to use a wash made from the same products that I used for the underlying paint work. At least, not directly. One way around this is to use a clear coat as a barrier between the two, which would be from a dissimilar material. For example, put an enamel clear gloss coat over the top of your Tamiya acrylic paint work, and then your Tamiya acrylic wash over that. The enamel clear gloss coat will protect the underlying paint work from the acrylic thinning agents in your wash.

One last tip that might be useful: depending on the nature and location of the wash you're trying to apply, you might be able to get away with thinning your wash of Tamiya acrylics with a 50/50 mix of Future floor polish and water. It doesn't work so well as a pin wash, and is difficult to remove after the fact, but works well for internal areas that need to be dirtied up, such as cockpits and wheel wells, etc.

Kev

On 1/31/2020 at 9:44 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

The trick to making a wash work is to use dissimilar formulations for the base coat and the wash, so that they're not able to interfere with each other chemically. For example, if you've used Tamiya acrylics for your paint work, use a clay- or oil-based wash over the top of them. Neither will have any effect on your acrylic paint work. I certainly would not be trying to use a wash made from the same products that I used for the underlying paint work. At least, not directly. One way around this is to use a clear coat as a barrier between the two, which would be from a dissimilar material. For example, put an enamel clear gloss coat over the top of your Tamiya acrylic paint work, and then your Tamiya acrylic wash over that. The enamel clear gloss coat will protect the underlying paint work from the acrylic thinning agents in your wash.

One last tip that might be useful: depending on the nature and location of the wash you're trying to apply, you might be able to get away with thinning your wash of Tamiya acrylics with a 50/50 mix of Future floor polish and water. It doesn't work so well as a pin wash, and is difficult to remove after the fact, but works well for internal areas that need to be dirtied up, such as cockpits and wheel wells, etc.

Kev

Can you use an acrylic coat over gloss enamel? Just wondering...

On 1/30/2020 at 11:35 AM, 109 said:

Hi,

some time ago I accidently used out of production thinner from JPS Modell for thinning Tamiya acrylics to be applied as an wash over a basecoat of dried Tamiya acrylic. That worked great because the wash didn´t dissolve the base coat.

I tried this with a variety of other stuff, AK, denat. alc. etc. but all of them dissolve a dried Tamiya base coat. :-(

Do you know of a thinner that doesn´t dissolve the Tamiya acrylics but can be used to thin them?

TIA :-)

JPS Modell - that brought back some memories.  Jens Popp had a great paint with excellent color matching.  It is too bad that he was forced to change his chemical mixtures due to environmental regulators that resulted in the paint being nearly unworkable.  Too bad really.  I still have a few bottle of the original mix.