2020 Tamiya Nuremberg reveals new 1/32 F-51D.

Kahunaminor

1 hour ago, rjones726 said:

Way to take one for the team John. Well done. :)

P.S. I'm going to try to get the new sprue to make my build a bit easier to do

v/r,

Rob

Glad to have been of service!  I thought about waiting to order the sprues (I’m guessing it’ll just be a single sprue with all the F-51 bits) but I’m kinda past that point on my build.    Sure looks like a nice kit, hope to see some other F-51 builds in the future!    I would think it has all the current parts as well so this kit would also allow you to build pretty much any version Mustang that had the tail fillet, including very late WW2 aircraft with HVAR’s fitted.  

Edited by John1

2 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

As cbk57 mentioned above, they are new panel inserts for the sides of the radiator housing or doghouse. Vertical cooling slots with thin louvres were introduced post-war on some Mustangs. It was not fit onto all aircraft, and there were four different patterns that I've seen, so it will be interesting to see what they've chosen. Still though, thoughtful and thorough of Tamiya.

John Terrell's excellent illustrations from his flightsim page:

mPUz1vch.jpg

Richard

Blowing up the pics and the instructions, it looks like the middle version.

Andy of Andy’s hobby headquarters has a inbox showing all the parts.  My impression is that this kit contains all parts needed to build any production fillet tail Mustang from around -10 or later.  I could be wrong but there are a lot of extra parts in the box for earlier versions.  It does not have the filletless tail though.

Does anyone have experience purchasing sprues from Tamiya (in the US)?  I've had them help with replacing a lost part and they were excellent but are they just as willing to sell you specific sprues?  

11 hours ago, MikeC said:

Pity there are no RF-51 parts, but I suppose they can always be robbed from a Pacific boxing.  I'll probably have one anyway, it's always hard to resist a Tamiya Pony.

I would not rule out the RF-51 parts being in the box.  You really need to look at all the parts coming with this kit.  I watched Andy’s video and there is a chance they are there.  I think almost everything from the Pacific boxing is in this one.  For example I noticed this kit has the triple under wing rocket launchers on the sprue.  I think those came in the Pacific boxing as they are not in the earlier version.  

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Does anyone have experience purchasing sprues from Tamiya (in the US)?  I've had them help with replacing a lost part and they were excellent but are they just as willing to sell you specific sprues?  

I’ve done it to get the outboard weapons pylons from the F-4J Marines kit.  My experience is that the availability of what sprues they have on hand varies, and I wouldn’t expect them to have the specific sprues from a new kit on hand for sale until a while after the kit gets released.

Also, judging from the pictures of the sprues, I’d wager that the rockets are on a section of another sprue, which means you’ll have to buy the entire combined sprue.  The sprue with the prop and interior parts seems to be a complete separate sprue.

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I would not rule out the RF-51 parts being in the box.  

Fair point, but there are no RF-51 decal options, so I assumed they're not there.  Happy to be proved wrong.

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

Fair point, but there are no RF-51 decal options, so I assumed they're not there.  Happy to be proved wrong.

You would need the decals of course.  I think there is a decent chance that this kit has everything from the Pacific Theater Mustang kit plus the new parts for the F-51.  So if you want something else you might have to source decals but the parts might just be there.

1 hour ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Not really into Mustangs, but it's great to see Tamiya release a 1/32 kit again.  Hope for something new to be released in the future??

Cheers,

Michael

I don't personally think that Tamiya is anywhere near out of the game, 1:32 aircraft wise.