Problems spraying very thin paint.

AlbertD

4 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, just to confuse matters, Mr. Color is technically an acrylic too, as it uses an acrylic binder; it's a synthetic acrylic lacquer! But to answer your question directly, I don't use lacquer-based acrylic paints exclusively, but I do tend to stick to lacquers and alcohol-based acrylics (Tamiya, Gunze) where possible. I even use enamels occasionally! The paints I try to avoid (for airbrushing at least) are those from Vallejo and Lifecolor - the former at least is a true water-based acrylic, and doesn't dilute, emulsify, or atomise anywhere near as nicely as its lacquer and alcohol based counterparts.

Kev

I'm learning a lot from you guys and I appreciate it very much. I definitely see your point about atomization. I'm finding that the Vallejo spits and gives uneven coverage unless things are absolutely perfect. Heck, it seems like the weather can make for a bad spraying session. I see myself moving away from the water based acrylics. I really enjoy experimentin and don't mind learning from mistakes. I sure make plenty of them. 

One more thing to state the obvious. Mr Levelling Thinner, because of the retardant, lets the paint spread out nicely and helps reduce those noticeable "oops" blushes when you have left your airbrush on one spot too long. Not that I have ever done that:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Dainis said:

One more thing to state the obvious. Mr Levelling Thinner, because of the retardant, lets the paint spread out nicely and helps reduce those noticeable "oops" blushes when you have left your airbrush on one spot too long. Not that I have ever done that:rolleyes:

Another good thing about lacquer is that it can be "re-wet", so any orange peel or dry overspray can be flowed out by spraying a wet coat of leveling thinner over it. 

So where do the Mr Color Acqueous come under? (I note there are 2 different types of Mr Color)

They smell similar to Tamiya (though definitely not the same), are they just Water dilutable, but still usable with mr leveller?

13 hours ago, Subodai said:

So where do the Mr Color Acqueous come under? (I note there are 2 different types of Mr Color)

They smell similar to Tamiya (though definitely not the same), are they just Water dilutable, but still usable with mr leveller?

They are alcohol-based acrylics (don't let the "aqueous" moniker fool you), and very similar to Tamiya acrylics in formulation and performance. The last thing I'd dilute them with is water! But in the past I've successfully used alcohol (methylated spirits in my case) and Windex (ammonia-based window cleaner), and Tamiya X-20A, before settling on Mr. Color Thinner.

Kev

I have not had a chance to work with lacquer and leveling thinner yet but I have sprayed some Tamiya with 90% IPA and it worked great. Much smoother and even than the Vallejo model air. The experiments continue. I'll be putting in an order of some basic color lacquer paints and some RLM colors and I'll try to do my next project in mostly lacquer and leveling thinner. I did pick up a resperatore too so between that and the booth breathing should not be an issue.

You'll find that you'll get an even better result using Mr. Color Thinner, Albert. And another tip for getting a smooth finish out of Tamiya's sometimes chalky acrylics: add a drop or two of clear gloss into your airbrushing mix. Sure, it adds a satin finish to the paint, but the result is much smoother than without it.

Kev

While we're riffing on this subject,  anyone know what makes anything with the label  "Mr" so noxious to smell? Jeez, I use hardware lacquer thinner to clean my airbrushes and its like febreze in comparison when it comes to odour. I know, a totally tangential and trivial thread. And yes, as others have pointed out, drops of gloss clear are a great idea when spraying Tamiya acrylics. Saves one using micromesh paper to make any grainy texture smooth.

8 minutes ago, Dainis said:

While we're riffing on this subject,  anyone know what makes anything with the label  "Mr" so noxious to smell? Jeez, I use hardware lacquer thinner to clean my airbrushes and its like febreze in comparison when it comes to odour.

Dunno, but the hardware-store lacquer thinner I use is equally as noxious as Mr. Color Thinner, and I've had to give up drinking either of them.

Kev

12 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Dunno, but the hardware-store lacquer thinner I use is equally as noxious as Mr. Color Thinner, and I've had to give up drinking either of them.

Kev

I was wondering why the first time I went to my mom and pop hardware store they didn't have lacquer thinner. When I asked why, they said they did have it at the back by request. Substance abusers wanted it. And I live in a pretty nice neighbourhood. Go figure. My toxins are unfiltered local craft beer at my pub.:beer4: 

5 hours ago, Dainis said:

While we're riffing on this subject,  anyone know what makes anything with the label  "Mr" so noxious to smell? Jeez, I use hardware lacquer thinner to clean my airbrushes and its like febreze in comparison when it comes to odour. I know, a totally tangential and trivial thread. And yes, as others have pointed out, drops of gloss clear are a great idea when spraying Tamiya acrylics. Saves one using micromesh paper to make any grainy texture smooth.

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

4 hours ago, Dainis said:

I was wondering why the first time I went to my mom and pop hardware store they didn't have lacquer thinner. When I asked why, they said they did have it at the back by request. Substance abusers wanted it. And I live in a pretty nice neighbourhood. Go figure. My toxins are unfiltered local craft beer at my pub.:beer4: 

Yeah cellulose thinners are no joke, I originally got some to remove some paint that had 'gone off' on some black silk painted KEF speakers I own, it basically turned into sticky goo on the outside of the speakers for no discernable reason, that was the only thing that could disolve it enough to make them usable. So I was familiar with the smell...

Flash forward to a few months back when I discovered Mr Levelling thinners after getting back into the hobby and they smell almost identical

If you look that stuff up, there are ALL the cancer warnings, it's not friendly stuff.

Reading through all the responses here, or any other discussion regarding paint, points out one common thing that always comes up - everyone has their own ideas and techniques and they all seem to work for each individual. 

Find a paint brand that likes you, master it, and don't be distracted by others telling you what they use is better. It all works, if you work at it. 

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

16 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Reading through all the responses here, or any other discussion regarding paint, points out one common thing that always comes up - everyone has their own ideas and techniques and they all seem to work for each individual. 

Find a paint brand that likes you, master it, and don't be distracted by others telling you what they use is better. It all works, if you work at it. 

Very good advice!