Sprue Cutters?

I use the Zoukei Mura Pro-Zetsu Nipper. https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=4288 

We sell this in our store, but this is not shameless promotion because this "nipper" makes a very fine cut. :-) 

For very small or for long/delicate parts such as tubular/frame structures I prefer to use fine saws. 

Radu 

Hi All

This is what I’m use at the moment, the Red handled one’s are from Harbor Freight, got them for a whole .59 cents they work really well. The other I found in an old manikir set at my Mom’s house not sure who the manufacture is. The only thing I can see is the word Germany.

KGEnekb.jpg

8 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

They do indeed, Brian - but they're not cheap!

You're not kidding!

They are indeed expensive, but with the ability to cut 1mm to 50mm circles and being made of solid aliminum parts like my prop jig, it seems like it would last a lifetime, and pay for itself after a few years or less.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, Out2gtcha said:

You're not kidding!

They are indeed expensive, but with the ability to cut 1mm to 50mm circles and being made of solid aliminum parts like my prop jig, it seems like it would last a lifetime, and pay for itself after a few years or less.

I have one of those expensive circle cutters but never use now that I have a Silhouette Portrait.  Wouldn't the Portrait make the circle cutter less useful?

I looked at the circle cutter for a while but when the guide to allow concentric circles is added (at further expense but necessary for roundels) it came to about half the price of a Portrait 2.  As the latter is much more flexible, I went that route in the end.  I did have a play with one at a show and it worked but for me it was too pricey for something that only did one job, even though it did that job well.

As to the original question, I use a set of orange-handled Xurons for cutting runners and a God Hand for removing parts.  For really fragile parts I repeatedly make light passes with a scalpel using the part to guide the blade.  I do this alternately from each side if possible.  Enabled me to remove all the brake rods for a Miniart GAZ truck without damage.

I use the same as mentioned by many. The orange handle xuron and their pe scisors

Had them for year still amazing. I did damage my pe cutter i.e bent the point. But still does the job

On 2/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, Thunnus said:

I have one of those expensive circle cutters but never use now that I have a Silhouette Portrait.  Wouldn't the Portrait make the circle cutter less useful?

Possibly..............didn't think of that, but my cutter is all the way upstairs in my PC room, and my model room/bench is downstairs in the basement. Normally its quite a chore for me to trudge upstairs and cut something, especially as small as some circles I've found I need are. I also have a need to cut very thin styrene sheet occasionally, and I have found cutting that in the Silhouette can be problematic at best and blade damaging at worst.

A lot of the time I also have a need to just cut a simple small circle in some Tamiya tape or other, and I really hate using that clear sticky backing sheet that comes with the Silhouette.