Sprue Cutters?

I’ve used Tamiya sprue cutters for many years (except for clear sprues, when I use a saw), but for certain plastics like those used by ZM they can leave a divot. Any better alternatives that are a good value?

Thanks,  Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Gods Hand cutters. Expensive - very. Good value - oh yeah.

Don't know about Tamiya cutters, but the GH cutters only cut on one side and slice through sprue gates like a hot knife through butter. On many occasions, I don't even need a "swipe with a sanding stick" to remove the leftovers.

I believe there are similar, cheaper, versions but I don't know what they are, specifically.

If you can splash the cash, GH cutters are well worth it.

I have no commercial connection to them, I just have a pair and am glad I do.

I've got the Tamiya ones and the red God Hands.

The Tamiya are good, great even, but the God Hands really are just something else.
I'm not sure what the difference is between the blue and red ones, (other than price, on amazon at least) but I'd be interested to know. If it's a case of the cutting blade is the other side, I might pick them up as well as it can be tricky to get them aligned on some pieces because of the single cutting edge. Having another pair with the cutting edge on the other side would solve all of the issues I have with them.

They're expensive and will need looking after in the long-term, and you can't treat them harshly as the blade is thin (it needs to be for that clean of a cut) but I personally think they're worthit.

I have my Xuron cutters for years, the short-nosed, orange handle for sprue-cutting and the blue-handle for photo-etchings. They're long-lasting, stay sharp and precise as long as you don't misuse them i.e. use them to cut other materials.

BEWARE of fake Xurons

ED92248-A-AE43-4-D0-E-A195-3-EEAA0225-C9

The genuine Xuron is on the right ;)

Edited by quang
Adding pix

Ive been thinking alot about the Dspiae and Godhand cutters. From what Im seeing not that much difference in price between the two if you look around. My question would be which version of the Godhand cutters do people use?

I see the GH-PN-120, GH-SPN-120 and one labled only SPN-120.   Does anyone know the difference or which is best?

26 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Ive been thinking alot about the Dspiae and Godhand cutters. From what Im seeing not that much difference in price between the two if you look around. My question would be which version of the Godhand cutters do people use?

I see the GH-PN-120, GH-SPN-120 and one labled only SPN-120.   Does anyone know the difference or which is best?

Is there a difference? I do not see any!

22 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Is there a difference? I do not see any!

Having read a little further in reviews of people selling the nippers I think I have figured out the diff...............

PN-120 (Orange Red) is for an initial cut, out off the runners. The blade is thicker for the PN-120 and can handle a thicker cut. The GH-SPN-120 (Powder Blue) the blades are thinner so it's for a finer cut.

So basically you get the red handled more beefier PN-120 are for the initial runner cut, and the more delicate and sharper GH/SPN-120 is for the secondary more precise nip to get any residual sprue nubs off before the X-acto or razor blade/sandpaper comes out. 

39 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

PN-120 (Orange Red) is for an initial cut, out off the runners. The blade is thicker for the PN-120 and can handle a thicker cut. The GH-SPN-120 (Powder Blue) the blades are thinner so it's for a finer cut.

Ah nice find, I might well pick up the blue ones at some point then. Though I've just window shopped just about every thing in the Dspiae range! >.< AliExpress is getting some of my money soon methinks.

I've used Xuron forever for rough cuts and THESE for fine cuts. Don't confuse these with the cheap Revlon cutters, these are much higher quality and the handles are made in such a way that the blades don't smash into each other. Not sure how the price compares to Godhands but these are like $35 including shipping.

64616699_max.jpg