Eduard Brassin 632 102 Multi Ejector Rack - for F-105D

SimonCornes

Good afternoon the LSP Collective. I have acquired a pack of these beauties but seem to recall reading somewhere that the rack is a bit short? Indeed if I compare it to the rack included with the Trumpeter 1/32 F-105 then I would say that the Eduard rack is 3 - 4mm short. 

Firstly, is it short or is the Trumpeter rack long? I have to say that half a dozen M117's on the Trumpeter rack look right whereas the same on the Eduard rack look way to close together. If the Eduard rack is indeed short then what is the fix? I am thinking of cutting it in half and then using one end to make a mould so that I can cast maybe 1cm or so of 'rack' in resin to then insert between the Eduard halves. Does that make sense?

Secondly, for a Thunderchief with the rack fitted on the centreline pylon, I assume that you use the airframe attachment lugs (choice of two sets) that would mirror the sway brace position on the Trumpeter C/L pylon? I'm not 100% sure about the position of the rack relative to the pylon but maybe if I used the same position as the kit one, after I've extended it - if thats whats required - it would be correct?

I look forward to receiving your answer, before I get the razor saw out!!

Thank you

Simon

These the ones you are talking about?

f105_06.jpg

The bombs look pretty close, but I don't know how that compares to your Eduard set. I do know Trumpeter is known for being pretty shaky on the accuracy of their stores.

Thanks Ray, to be fair, the Trumpeter stores look okay on the racks, except that the bombs on the sides are attached horizontally whereas they should be angled downwards, which is why the Eduard rack looks great!

I don't have the Trumpeter version of the M117 handy to compare, the M117 was 87.4" long so should be 2.73" in 1/32 (and 0.5" diameter with 0.7" overall fin span).

Although in 1/48, there's a good comparison image showing the obvious MER size differences between a kit, Aerobonus, and Eduard:
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/306307-148th-revell-monogram-a-6e-tram-intruder/&do=findComment&comment=2941789

Same problem of not being able to fit ordnance on the aftermarket MERs unfortunately. I remember seeing someone's forum build where they cut the MERs in the middle and added a spacer in order to prevent ordnance from touching in the middle, but I can't find the thread now or remember if it was 1/48 or 1/32 build.

I have both the Eduard MERs in 1/48 and 1/32. Approximate overall lengths are 3.00" and 4.57" respectively. At 1/1, these would be 144" and 146.25". I've seen pamplet saying length of the actual MER is approx 147". I'll have to defer to someone else who can verify this and if it includes the nose cone or if that isn't really true overall length? Since someone is definitely off.

The difference between that 147" and the 1/32 146" is well under the issues seen with so many different ordnance conflicts for fitting on the MERs though, so I have doubts 147" is really correct rather than everyone's ordnance is that far off? I have Videoaviations and AMS Rockeyes for example, and even though both have slightly different dimensions all around, neither really fit the Eduard MERs either (same issue of not fitting back to back). Eduard based their MER on the wrong dimension of 147"?

At least the actual rack unit dimensions seems pretty good. The distance between the suspension lugs should be 14" and distance between the sway braces 20". On the Eduard 1/32 MER these measure approximately 0.43" and 0.63" respectively. At 1/1, these would be 13.7" and 20.2", which is reasonable to 14"/20" considering my approx measuring of the spacing with a caliper. Make sure you don't do the same error as reviewer did by installing the swaybraces in the holes for the ordnance lugs: https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/multiple-ejector-rack-mer

Thanks for all the opinions guys and the reference to ARC, which I have looked at. Very interesting photo on there of a MER being loaded onto an A-6 and a note of the distance between the top lugs (onto the pylon) - 30" so about 23mm at 1/32. I am thinking  that I will put a 5mm extension into the Eduard part. The problem is to decide where and what detail to lose! Simple matter of making a silicon mould, casting a section of MER and then cutting it into 3 x 5mm lengths and doing all 3 MER's in the box, otherwise I will forget when I get around to my A-6!

The over all length of the MER-7 / BRU-41, which is what Eduard depicted, is 156.2 inches (13 feet) from the tip of the nose cone to the end of the aft fairing.

The Eduard MER measures out to 144 inches (12 feet).

Sources are A1-F18AE-LWS-000, the Airborne Weapons/Stores Loading Manual for the F/A-18 and personal measurements taken from the ones I used to repair.