5 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

I wonder what the airplane profiles under the cockpit mean? Did it crash into an F4, A4 and A7 or something?

It's an KA-3B so the A-6, F-4, and A-4 silhouettes probably indicate refueling saves of those types. With the A-4 shown I imagine this pic then is from the Independence. Are all the smaller markings under the IFR probe line legible in the original scan? They tanker mission details?

Also I like the detail of the squadron's usual standard sword marking being "bloodied" - complete with blood drips.

Excellent pic, keep them coming!

Those really are beautiful pictures, and looking at them I was struck by how clean the aircraft were with ,

There appears to be no significant staining , at least on those parts of the airframe we can see, (yea I know the belly of an F-4 can look a mess), but  comparing these pics to some models , especially those completed using the "Spanish " approach to weathering , they look immaculate .

So how representative would these aircraft have been compared, for example, to those USN carrier aircraft operating in Vietnam?

13 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

It's an KA-3B so the A-6, F-4, and A-4 silhouettes probably indicate refueling saves of those types. With the A-4 shown I imagine this pic then is from the Independence. Are all the smaller markings under the IFR probe line legible in the original scan? They tanker mission details?

Also I like the detail of the squadron's usual standard sword marking being "bloodied" - complete with blood drips.

Excellent pic, keep them coming!

Yup, those are ‘saves’ by the tanker. Likely even going feet-dry to save them and drag them back to the America.  As for the sword, that’s the markings of Heavy 10 (VAH-10) which went on to become VAQ-129 and the EA-6B FRS. Their patches still have the sword.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:28 PM, easixpedro said:

Yup, those are ‘saves’ by the tanker. Likely even going feet-dry to save them and drag them back to the America.  As for the sword, that’s the markings of Heavy 10 (VAH-10) which went on to become VAQ-129 and the EA-6B FRS. Their patches still have the sword.

That's pretty cool. I'll find that slide again and scan it at max res and see if we can get some more detail out of it. 

Here are some more pictures. 

Old-Navy-PicsII155-Martin-Baker-Ejection

I'm assuming this is a Martin Baker Ejection seat out of a Phantom, and that its at NAS Miramar or NAS Oceana because the walls look like they are cinder-block, so probably not a space on a ship? 

Old-Navy-PicsII058-VA-85-A-6-on-America-

A nice A-6 Intruder,  kinda looks like it could be Subic Bay in the background. 

Old-Navy-PicsII083-blurry-F4J-landing-in

A blurry Phantom landing on the Independence. 

Old-Navy-PicsII084-F4J-nose-on-while-unr

Nose on Phantom, taken while on an UNREP. 

Old-Navy-PicsII091-Independence-of-east-

Phantom Cat shot, with an A-4 and R-5 getting ready. 

Old-Navy-PicsII096-On-Independence-A-7-c

A-4 about to get shot off one of the bow cats, off the Independence. 

Old-Navy-PicsII166-America-World-Cruise-

Same UNREP the Phantom shot was taken on, looks like the same Cruiser in the background. 

On 1/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, Scotsman said:

Those really are beautiful pictures, and looking at them I was struck by how clean the aircraft were with ,

There appears to be no significant staining , at least on those parts of the airframe we can see, (yea I know the belly of an F-4 can look a mess), but  comparing these pics to some models , especially those completed using the "Spanish " approach to weathering , they look immaculate .

So how representative would these aircraft have been compared, for example, to those USN carrier aircraft operating in Vietnam?

I noticed how clean they are as well, I've always like my airplanes dirty, and have seen plenty of photos of dirty WWII and Korea birds, but these do tell another story.   The shots on the Independence are probably on east coast workups before the 69 med cruise, so the planes were probably in pretty good shape. 

I'll have another batch tomorrow 

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks
fixing stuff

15 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Have seen some heavily weathered land based USMC a/c in Vietnam, but still they don't have that heavy panel line shading effect, just really dingey/grimy overall (with some heavy soot area on fuselages from A-4 and F-8 guns firing though). These excellent photos look typical to USN carrier a/c at the time for Vietnam. There's overall grime/staining like you mentioned, but agree it's unusual to see one like Spanish weathering method with panel lines smoked over. To each their own for their kit I suppose and I understand the artistic look of that choice. I call it the firefighting approach where it is so blackened and panel lines emphasized so severely that it looks like a/c was involved in a fire. Seen many builds where the underside white ends up being overall light grey instead. 

8 hours ago, easixpedro said:

My comment regarding the sword was referring to this one specifically having an unusual red painted tip and has blood drips painted on the fuselage. I didn't recall seeing that detail before on their A-3s? 

7 hours ago, blackbetty said:

dont want to be a smartass, but these are A-4s, not A-7s. love the pics!

LOL no problem, I was really tired when I posted those, will fix this afternoon.  Thanks!

Funny story about the A-7, my Dad was not fond of them, because one had blown him off the flight deck, into the nets one time.

The right A-7s not my mislabeled A-4s.  :lol:

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks

Ok, Another batch. 

Old-Navy-PicsII150-DD-747-USS-America-Wo

Another shot of DD-747

Old-Navy-PicsII130-USS-America-World-Cru

and another. 

Old-Navy-PicsII176-USS-America-World-Cru

That's CG-22 the USS English, and can't seem to find any info on K S 4. 

Old-Navy-PicsII121-USS-America-World-Cru

Pretty sure the CG-22.

Old-Navy-PicsII160-USS-America-World-Cru

Wonder what type of gun mount that is?

Old-Navy-PicsII163-USS-America-World-Cru

Full shot of  K S 4

Old-Navy-PicsII139-USS-America-World-Cru

You can just make out 66 on the Island. 

old-navy-picsII120-USS-America-WOrld-Cru

Interesting shot, near the port side elevator looking towards the bow?

Old-Navy-PicsII157-USS-America-Cat-maint

Bow Cat being worked on. 

Old-Navy-PicsII171USS-America-World-Crui

VF-33 NCO? There are several people in the Cruise book who could be this guy.  My dad brought home some nice stereo equipment from Japan... 

Old-Navy-PicsII128-USS-America-World-Cru

Looks like a squadron ready room.  

Old-Navy-PicsII174-Uss-America-World-Cru

My mom flew to the east coast and met the ship when it returned from the 68 Cruise, she may be in this pic. 

Well, more to come. 

27 minutes ago, Squizzy said:

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. Simply awesome images there, it’s amazing how many of those aircraft I have decals for!

I'm really glad other people are enjoying them. 

I'll be posting the line crossing stuff soon, the pics are pretty wild.