Which one??? F-14 and F-16

raphaelmd

The Tamiya 1/32 F-16 has to be one of the best kits ever made in 1/32 scale.

The F-14 crowd seems to be split into 2 camps: some like the Trumpeter kits, others like the Tamiya kits.  Both allegedly need work in different ways to bring them up to speed.  The Tamiya kit is old and has raised panel lines.  The intakes are said to be out of shape on the Trumpeter kits.

My vote would be Trumpeter but I haven't built either of them.  

I did build the Tamiya F-16 and thought it was a typical gorgeous Tamiya kit.

Hello Raphael.

For sheer enjoyment I would recommend the Tamiya F-16. The way the kit fits and the engineering involved is virtually magical.

If you seek a challenge then go for the Tamiya F-14. The overall shape is possibly better than the newer Trumpeter offering but it is old and lacking in several areas like the cockpit and wheel bays. Go for the newest "Black Knights" edition if you can find it. (Don't be too put off by the raised panel lines on the rear upper deck as close inspection of the real aircraft shows that to be surprisingly accurate.)

Good luck with your choice and have fun.

HTH.

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Hello Raphael.

For sheer enjoyment I would recommend the Tamiya F-16. The way the kit fits and the engineering involved is virtually magical.

If you seek a challenge then go for the Tamiya F-14. The overall shape is possibly better than the newer Trumpeter offering but it is old and lacking in several areas like the cockpit and wheel bays. Go for the newest "Black Knights" edition if you can find it. (Don't be too put off by the raised panel lines on the rear upper deck as close inspection of the real aircraft shows that to be surprisingly accurate.)

Good luck with your choice and have fun.

HTH.

Cheers.

Would love to see any update on your Tomcat project GW...

Zactomodels make a range of resin corrections and improvements for the Trumpeter Tomcat that should be considered should one choose to go down that route.

Tamiya's F-16 is the pick of the bunch in 1:32, although the Academy kit with a Zactomodels intake will make a decent two-seat F-16D or I if you prefer an alternative to the single-seater.

No, I am not sponsored by Zactomodels:)

Jens

I’ve built all four kits, Trumpeter and Tamiya 

F-14’s, and Tamiya and Academy F-16’s.

what others have said about the Tomcats is in my opinion correct. Tamiya has a better shape, but Trumpeter has better aftermarket options, and it needs it. I personally prefer the Trumpeter kit fully loaded with Aires and Zactomodels gear.

With the Vipers, The Tamiya kit is slightly better, but I preferred the Academy kit, it builds really well, I think it has better surface details and Zactomodels produce both the small and large mouth intakes. Combine the small intake from Zactomodels and the Kasl exhaust, and you’re on your way to a masterpiece!