1:25 '40 Willys Coupe Gasser

LSP_K2

The kit supplied chrome wheels are actually pretty nice, but I’ll be cleaning them up, stripping them and spraying with a darker Magnesium color, as I believe that’ll more correctly reflect the “spirit” of what I’m after here. Tires also scuffed up a bit, using a coarse Scotch-Brite pad, as I really despise shiny tire treads.

xJH3W1.jpg

22 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Just catching up on this one!  Looking good!

Thanks. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this one. Doing the reverse of what I normally do, which is painting the body first, has been keeping me energized to do the rest prior to the painting/polishing part, which I dearly love doing.

The .060 blocks added nearly nothing to the front end lift (I really should have known better), so I clipped off the springs and shocks and added a 1/4" piece of channel instead. This gives the front end roughly a scale 12" of lift, well within the NHRA limits from the time, which allowed for 24", max.

0AHXfl.jpg

7 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Thanks. I'm actually having a lot of fun with this one. Doing the reverse of what I normally do, which is painting the body first, has been keeping me energized to do the rest prior to the painting/polishing part, which I dearly love doing.

Progress is looking good so far Kevin. I painted my General Lee body first and found that I didn't like doing things in that order because there was too much risk of me damaging my paint job when working with the body throughout the remainder of the build process.

I've got several sets of those wheels and back tires. I really need to find some more of those front runner tires like the ones you have. Pretty scarce these days and they work perfectly for most of my Pro Street builds.

As far as the ejector pin marks in the interior goes... a placement of a mat or replacement flooring'll take care of those pretty quick. Carpet also does the trick but that doesn't belong in a racer. lol 

Yep, the slicks provided in the kit are pretty cool, as are the front tires and wheels. Not only were new wheels included for the four new tires, but the original four wheels for the (not included) tires, still look awesome too. I think the wheels are the same style, or at least very similar, to what's provided in my Monogram '29 Ford pickup.

Just now, mustang1989 said:

Hate that you have to rob that one from another full kit as you can't just get spare parts from Revell America these days. :(

I agree, Joe, but I have so few parts to choose from, it's just necessary, not to mention the fact that I have no idea when or if I'll ever get around to building the Corvette anyway. On the plus side, Revell is on the way back, and getting parts shouldn't pose too much of a problem in the near future. Someone makes a machined aluminum scoop that looks pretty good, but I can't find out if it's still available or not, nor who makes/made it.

1 minute ago, LSP_K2 said:

I agree, Joe, but I have so few parts to choose from, it's just necessary, not to mention the fact that I have no idea when or if I'll ever get around to building the Corvette anyway. On the plus side, Revell is on the way back, and getting parts shouldn't pose too much of a problem in the near future. Someone makes a machined aluminum scoop that looks pretty good, but I can't find out if it's still available or not, nor who makes/made it.

I'll be helping in the search of that one. I need one.

1 minute ago, mustang1989 said:

I'll be helping in the search of that one. I need one.

I was doing a Willys search on the model car forum and saw one on a gasser model some guy had built. I'm considering asking him where he got it, assuming he even posts there now.