FW190D-13 Yellow 10 conversion

BiggTim

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Beautiful work Tim!  I agree about the cleanliness... you've got that Grey Matter resin fuselage perfectly integrated with the rest of the kit!  I love this view since it shows very cowling bulge so clearly.

Thanks, it takes a bit of work to get them mated up flush. I was extremely careful not to mess up that characteristic lower bulge when sanding, too. Jerry Rutman did a faithful job of mastering this conversion, and I did not want to lose any of the subtle detail he put so much effort into.

A couple of other tricky spots to make note of:

1. The upper cowling piece that is molded into the D-13 upper nose piece from GMF was a bit warped downward on mine. It did not mate up with the top curve of the kit cowl very well, so I had to break it slightly at the panel line and bend it upward, holding it in alignment while gluing. Watch out for that on yours. I've circled it below:

Capture.jpg

2. The GMF fuse halves wound up a tad narrower than the kit tail assembly, and I did not notice it until I had glued the tail on. Make sure you check that before gluing the fuse halves together. It may require a bit of shimming between the halves to get them flush with the sides of the kit tail. I had to do a bunch of filling and sanding to fix mine, so void that if you can. See below:

Capture-2.jpg

Tim

Thanks Tim!  I appreciate the tips... so helpful.  I've got the Grey Matter D-13 conversion in hand and also the Real Model D-13 conversion.  My plan is to use as little of the resin as possible.  I'm going to try and sculpt the bulge onto the kit fuselage parts using the Grey Matter fuselage and my reference materials as a guide.  But your work with the Grey Matter conversion is so seamless... it's giving me second thoughts! :D

Thunnus, 

I would not hesitate to recommend the GMF conversion so far. Not perfect, of course, but resin never is. I would be hard pressed to convert the kit parts like you were considering and do it as well as Jerry did. You are an exceptional modeler, so I'm sure you could do it, but I think you'd be spending a lot of time you could better use on something else.

Tim

22 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Thunnus, 

I would not hesitate to recommend the GMF conversion so far. Not perfect, of course, but resin never is. I would be hard pressed to convert the kit parts like you were considering and do it as well as Jerry did. You are an exceptional modeler, so I'm sure you could do it, but I think you'd be spending a lot of time you could better use on something else.

Tim

Point taken, Tim!  And please call me John! :D  I don't feel comfortable working with large resin pieces, so there's that.  And there's also some warpage on my copy of the GM D-13 set.  Thirdly, from what I can tell, the modifications from D-9 to D-13 are relatively simple.  I've already done some sculpting work on the Hasegawa D-9 gun cowling to give me some confidence.  It shouldn't be too difficult and if I mess up, I'll have a brand new GM conversion to use!  I still haven't made up my mind and will think about it prior to starting the project, which won't be for a couple of months at least.  But thanks for your suggestions and for posting this build.  It's turning out fantastic!  I can't wait to see the painting... that's another aspect that I've not figured out yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update here: I received a set of new landing gear legs from Damian last week, and I just completed them, and the barracuda wheels.

20200308-181602.jpg

These things are very nicely done, and are very stout, and that metal oleo is awesome!! Can't wait to get them mounted on the bird, but I have a lot to do yet!!

Tim