FW190D-13 Yellow 10 conversion

BiggTim

Edit 9 February, 2020: I originally started this thread to ask questions, but since I actually started showing WIP photos in it, I figured I'd just make it more about that, so it's now in the WIP section.

Quick question on this plane - I know the flaps were plywood, the top side of which was unpainted. However, Jerry Crandall's book says the back half of the wing undersides were natural aluminum, except for the ailerons, and even shows the flaps silver in the color pages. So....were the bottom side of the flaps painted silver, or covered with an unpainted aluminum skin? or were they painted some other color?

I have seen Yellow 10 in person a number of times, and looked at tons of photos, but I can't remember what they did on the restoration. Besides, I'm looking for how it was during the war, not necessarily how it is now anyway.

Can you guys help?

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

Perhaps this is a question best answered by Jerry Crandall?  I believe he’s a member here so you can send him a pm.  I also think he was involved in the restoration of the D-13.

I would think they’d have been painted 76 on the outside but that’s only a guess based on stuff I’ve read over the years so take it for what it’s worth.

My personal bet is 76 as well, since that's what they painted the ailerons, but I am curious. It definitely wasn't wood on the bottom, as every period B&W pic I can find shows some sort of "grayish" tone. The top, however, appears to have been wood tone, just as the restoration indicates. I'll e-mail Jerry and see what he says.

Tim

Spoke to Jerry Crandall, he agrees that the flaps were probably RLM 76 on the bottom surface, just as the resto at FHCAM seems to be. Question answered, thanks all!

Incidentally, if you like western art, you should check out Jerry's work online, or on his facebook page. Some great stuff in addition to his aircraft art!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Got another question for you all. On the front hood of this plane is a small air scoop, kind of toward the right side about halfway between the windscreen and the cowl. I bought the conversion set from GMF, but I did not see that part in the set. Does anyone know if that piece is included in the set, and i just lost it? Or was it not there in the first place?

Tim

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Are you talking about the small scoop roughly above the large starboard intake scoop? I don't remember that being in my original JR set either. Unfortunately, can't double check right now. Not sure if that is wartime accurate or not.

Yes, that's the one. I'll double check tmrw, but I believe it is period correct. I have Jerry Crandall's book, and it shows up in there too.

43 minutes ago, Kais said:

Could you  use one in the donor kit?

Good thought, but I'm not sure if the earlier versions had it, so the kit might not either. I will check on that as well when I get home from my night shift in the morning. I'd love to tell you why I'm typing this at 01:41, but I can't. Kind of a crazy shift so far.

Edited by BiggTim

Interested in your discussion as I've got an interest in this aircraft as well.  Have you played around with the Grey Matter/Rutman fuselage?  I have one ordered too but I'm fearing trying to get the engine plug and resin cockpit to fit within.  I may try to sculpt the bulges myself.  Crandall's Dora Volume 2 has some good pics of the cowling and also has scale drawings of the D-13 in the appendix with a few cross-sections.

Edited by Thunnus

3 hours ago, D Bellis said:

The small scoop is part K10 in the Hasegawa Fw 190D kits.

HTH,

D

Found it, thanks! I almost missed it and might have tossed if I hadn't asked!

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Interested in your discussion as I've got an interest in this aircraft as well.  Have you played around with the Grey Matter/Rutman fuselage?  I have one ordered too but I'm fearing trying to get the engine plug and resin cockpit to fit within.  I may try to sculpt the bulges myself.  Crandall's Dora Volume 2 has some good pics of the cowling and also has scale drawings of the D-13 in the appendix with a few cross-sections.

Yes, I just assembled them yesterday. The fit of the Aries cockpit in the GMF fuse halves was excellent, just like the kit parts, and the fuse halves fit together pretty well for resin, given it's tendency to warp and shrink. Mating the fuse to the kits wings, however, was much harder. It was a pretty snug fit, which is good for no gaps, but one wing actually slipped a bit while I was gluing it, so I have some slight misalignment on the upper surface of the right wing root, but it's not bad. A bit of careful sanding will fix it.

just a note that I found it best to cut out the cowl/radiator mounting studs from the kit halves and install them in the GMF halves to keep the kit cowl parts aligned properly.

20200208-111957.jpg

20200208-112004.jpg

20200208-112010.jpg

The bottom of the wings was much worse. As you can see, the GMF filler piece between the wheel wells was more curved than the lower surface of the adjacent fuselage halves. I had to put a spacer between the halves at the rear of the joint to force them into alignment with the filler piece, while pinching the front together so it will match up with the cowling. The Aries wheel wells, which are pretty decent for this kit, may have added to this problem, I can't tell. They seemed to fit well enough, but you have to do quite a bit of work to get them installed correctly. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of that before I assembled it.

One thing I forgot to do (darn it) was to thin out the edge of the wings around the wheel well openings. I hate the thickness of the plastic there, and I blew it!! I may still try to carefully taper it back to reduce the edge profile some. We'll see.

20200208-112035.jpg

Also had some issues with the upper fuselage piece in front of the windscreen. It was warped slightly  and needed a lot of sanding and dry fitting to get it to snug up. Even then, it is slightly narrower than the fuselage, and will require a bit of feathering on both sides of the windscreen. Ahh, the fun of resin!!

20200208-111957.jpg

Tim

Edited by BiggTim