FW190D-13 Yellow 10 conversion

BiggTim

Thanks so much for that insight, Tim!  I guess I'll have to check out the GM/Rutman fuselage when it arrives for warping/shrinkage issues and take it from there!  As I mentioned in your other thread, I'd love to see this build on the Work In Progress board!

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

Nice work Tim. A riffler file might get in the wheel wells. Like the thinning plastic idea, nice touch.

Thanks, Mike! I actually already did it today with a dental scraper and xacto knife. It turned out ok, looks better than leaving it thick. I'll post pics later.

I started my D-13 conversion with the Rutman resin wing and D-13 conversion and a first generation Hasegawa Dora 9 fuselage!  Yikes.  I had it on a shelf of doom as Tim would say then it was relegated to a box of boredom over the past few years while I was circumventing the planet with work.  I haven’t looked at this bucket of fun for several years.  I’d likely need to perform a restoration before even think about looking at it again.  I like the sparks of interest Tim.   Looking forward to seeing more work on your D-13.   

Flaps are done! I used the kit flaps, thinned them down a bit and cut a bit off each end, then glued thin sheet styrene to both sides, overlapping the ends to the original length. Sanded the trailing edge almost to a knife edge, then primed, RLM 65 overall w/ wood (Testors 1735)on the top surface, and then some transparent woodgrain decals from HGW. This was my first attempt with the decals, and I found them VERY soft and hard to use without ripping them, even doing each piece individually so the grain doesn't align across the joints. I wound up having to spray a thin clearcoat over them while still on the paper to give them some strength. That worked fine for decals going on a flat surface, but I'm not sure what I would do for a curved one! I overlapped the edge of the decals at the joints slightly to form the dark glue lines, then accentuated them a little with a burnt sienna pencil after the matte clear was dry.

20200210-180323.jpg

Here are the real flaps:

yellow02.jpg

Tim

A bit more work this past weekend, this time on the cowl radiator flaps. The kit part is quite thick, and the D-13 had ALL of the flaps operable, including the one left closed on the kit part (a detail often missed on many of the builds I've seen online). I considered using the kit part with them closed, but in every photo I can find of the plane parked, they are open. Apparently they were mostly closed when the plane was airborne. With that idea shot down (pun intended), I cut all of the flaps off and made new ones out of brass sheet. I installed the actuator arms from the Eduard exterior detail set, which don't look too bad, despite being incredibly thin and fiddly, and will bend if you breath on them. 

20200213_182214.jpg

20200213_182122.jpg

20200213_182131.jpg

More later, after I get it installed.

Tim

Managed to get the cowl installed and primed last evening, so here she is all assembled and primed. Still some sanding to do and scribing to fix, then on to the canopy!! I like the the way the thin profile of the cowl flaps looks. So much happier with it than the kit part. I couldn't get the lighting right to show the actuator rods well. I'll try again this weekend.

20200221-072409.jpg

20200221_072343.jpg

20200221_072427.jpg

20200221_072446.jpg