1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Thunnus

On 2/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

Shortening the axle to bring the tire closer to the strut would change the look for the better. I do that now with the Hasagawa legs. Looks like it should be done with the Revell axles, too, especially when aftermarket wheels are used.

I've never seen 'any' 109 kit with the wheel close enough to the strut.

Thanks guys!

Time to rivet the wings.  I have to be careful not to break the glue bond between the inner and outer wing panels as the contact area between the two is not very significant.
IMG-7150.jpg

Using a set of drawings that I obtained from the 109Lair website, a flexible ruler and a soft lead pencil, I draw the rivet patterns on the wings.
IMG-7151.jpg

The larger Rivet-R from RB Productions is used for the long straight runs.  I'll use the smaller Rivet-R Mini for the circle.
IMG-7152.jpg

The rivet wheel is slowly traced and firmly over the drawn lines. I don't use any guides for this so the rivet lines aren't perfect.
IMG-7153.jpg

The rivets are then given a light sanding to remove the excess plastic that is pushed up around each rivet hole.
IMG-7154.jpg

I used brass sheeting folded around a form to create the hollow ammo chutes.  You can see the white Milliput that I used to wedge the cockpit tub into place.  You'll also notice the exhaust pipes... I'm trying to figure out how to add the exhaust deflector plates.
IMG-7155.jpg
IMG-7156.jpg

I'm going to tone down the raised details on the rudder.
IMG-7157.jpg

Here's the smoothed rudder set into place on the tail.
IMG-7159.jpg

I'm really enjoying seeing the extensive mods you have done with resin parts. I have done a couple of resin cockpits but never any external stuff. I'm frankly apprehensive cutting major parts off the fuselage or wings and fitting new parts. How challenging is it? I know that's not an easy question to answer as we all have different skills. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it one of these days.

Thanks for the excellent reference photos as usual, Antonio!  I'm not striving for total accuracy with the rivets.  It's mainly to give some detail/texture to the surfaces and I'll approximate the patterns as best as practicable! 

17 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

I'm really enjoying seeing the extensive mods you have done with resin parts. I have done a couple of resin cockpits but never any external stuff. I'm frankly apprehensive cutting major parts off the fuselage or wings and fitting new parts. How challenging is it? I know that's not an easy question to answer as we all have different skills. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it one of these days.

Thanks Albert!  Major surgery on kit parts gives me apprehension too.  I've kind of built up the confidence levels slowly.  Having good resin that fits like it's supposed to helps immensely and I have past positive experience with the AMUR Reaver G-10 Erla cowling, which actually required a bit more surgery than this one. The G-6/AS modification to the kit parts is very simple... small straight cuts... so this is probably a good one for you to consider if you are interested in trying an external modification.

IMG-6781.jpg

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks Albert!  Major surgery on kit parts gives me apprehension too.  I've kind of built up the confidence levels slowly.  Having good resin that fits like it's supposed to helps immensely and I have past positive experience with the AMUR Reaver G-10 Erla cowling, which actually required a bit more surgery than this one. The G-6/AS modification to the kit parts is very simple... small straight cuts... so this is probably a good one for you to consider if you are interested in trying an external modification.

IMG-6781.jpg

Well, I just ordered the Revell G-6 kit and the Eduard Big Sin set with cockpit, engine, cowling and some other goodies to get me started. Thanks for the encouragement. 

A few bits of work on the G-6... wheel wells painted.
IMG-7167.jpg

Replacing the attachment point of the tail landing gear with brass rod to address a potential weak spot.
IMG-7165.jpg
IMG-7166.jpg

The Barracuda resin spinner has some hub detail so blasted the prop openings with black and brush painted the hubs in metallic grey.
IMG-7164.jpg

Guest Vincent

Just one note about the belly ejection ports. They are not vertical boxes as you have represented but they have a curved shaped insert as well to deflect the spent cases rearward. Check the MDC ones i designed for inspiration :

MDC_MCV32016-2.jpg

Edited by Vincent

I am finally approaching the important milestone of gluing the AMUR Reaver resin cowling onto the fuselage.  I've been constantly checking the fit and foresee no major issues but you just never know until the glue hits the plastic.  But first I have to attach the Quickboost gun barrels from inside the cowling.  This was done using blobs of Milliput so that I could make sure that the guns are pointed true.  I've also painted the gun barrels and the gun troughs.  There may be an opportunity to mask this off to save me some painting later.
IMG-7177.jpg
IMG-7179.jpg
IMG-7182.jpg

And finally, the time has come... using JB Kwik Weld 2-part epoxy, the resin cowling is permanently affixed.  The JB Kwik Weld is perfect in this situation since it starts to cure about five minutes, allowing me time to make slight adjustments.  It's also quick enough for me to hold parts in position without using clamps.
IMG-7185.jpg
IMG-7186.jpg
IMG-7189.jpg
IMG-7187.jpg

As the dry-fitting showed, the fit is pretty good but obviously gaps need to be filled and the some edges will have to be faired in using Milliput.  I also see a few errant rivet lines that can be corrected.

30 minutes ago, chrish said:

Looks like a 109 repair facility an E on the ground there and another G? In the background on stands

photos taken at the Flugmuseum Messerschmitt, they have two G models, none  E  model

https://www.flugmuseum-messerschmitt.de/messerschmitt/aircraft/index.html

75341329-436948783640755-880248117450673

Edited by Antonio Argudo