1/32 Revell Bf109G-6/AS Hohenjager

Thunnus

On 3/26/2020 at 6:28 AM, Kahunaminor said:

“The question is... do I still want to do the all-RLM76 scheme?”

1 vote for yes, please.

Regards,

X 2, yes please for theRLM76.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks guys!  Ok, I'll go forward with the all RLM76 scheme as originally planned.  Since I do a lot of multi-colored Luftwaffe subjects, I should take this opportunity to do something a little out of the ordinary.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:45 AM, dodgem37 said:

Welcome back.  There is a structural band that runs to the inside of the wing root.

It starts on the bottom, as seen here next to the landing gear receiver.

And goes around the top, stopping at the panel line.

Hope I'm not too late for this addition.

Sincerely,

Mark

Nope, not too late.  I was going to give in to laziness and not address but the modeler OCD got the best of me and the reinforcing strips along the wing root were scribed.
0OPCfeC.jpg

At this point, I decided to paint the Barracuda spinner.  First comes the base coat in white.
Lh5fcM1.jpg

Using an Eagle Editions decal sheet as a base, I traced a spiral mask in AutoCAD and cut it out using my Silhouette Portrait cutter.
j9vKoMV.jpg

Black was then sprayed over the mask.  The minor imperfections such as kinks in the curve and overspray were repaired using bits of masking tape.  It's important to get the edges of the spiral really clean.
pnbiGts.jpg

It's hard to see but I painted the spinner backplate as it came from the factory... in Black Green RLM 70 with a quarter panel in white.  The spinner was given a wash to highlight the nice detail that Barracuda cast onto the spinner.
pW0UgWQ.jpg

The completed spinner mounted onto the fuselage.
bqXVrF9.jpg

Work continues on the G-6/AS.  The bisected inner flaps were painted using mottled black as a preshading base.  This represents the process that will be used on the overall aircraft.
IMG-7254.jpg
IMG-7255.jpg
IMG-7259.jpg

The DF loop antenna base was re-shaped using Milliput.  The loop itself was cut off and replaced with a strip of aluminum from a soda can.
IMG-7258.jpg

The landing gear legs were painted.  A brake line made of lead wire was added.
IMG-7257.jpg

The prop blades were painted RLM70 Black Green over a Tamiya AS-12 Silver base and slightly chipped using hairspray.  The blades were then given a couple of salt fading passes.
IMG-7261.jpg

The prop blades were attached to the spinner with the help of the mounting jig that Barracuda sells separately.  This ensures that the blade position and pitch are uniformly correct.
IMG-7262.jpg
IMG-7263.jpg

A test fit of the finished prop onto the unpainted fuselage...
IMG-7265.jpg
IMG-7266.jpg