Primer for NMF finish

Lud13

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Black is not required to base silver. I think it has become 'preferred' because Alcad recommends

it for their paints. I think the reason for that is that a gloss black surface is great for detecting

surface flaws. The surface finish is what changes the appearance of the silver finish. If you apply

a solid coat of silver, the base coat isn't going to show thru anyway. When I look at NMF a/c I see

more white in the reflectivity than black or dark colors. I primed my Mustang in MRP surface primer

and applied some disruptive greys and blues to break up the monotone. My point is, it's not the color

of the base coat, it's the surface finish from matt to polished gloss.

XjGdd55.jpg

QwRZ1IP.jpg

3a0qT6x.jpg

hth

Nice Pony Mike.

Is that gray gloss surface or matt ?

The ONLY way I’ve gotten the vallejo primer to work has been to spray it on very thin, almost dry. Definitely not a wet coat. Then i detacked the tamiya tape on my arm 2 to 3 times before using it on the finish coat. Also used sticky notes in some areas with success. It’s a complete waste of time in my opinion. Similar to others here I’ve gone to a satin finish black primer. I use citadel chaos black Primer mostly.

Don’t use gloss black. 

Use a non glossy black paint, in my case I use SMS Camo black or even Tamiya Acrylic black. This gives a nice even sheen of satin black. This will then give a base upon which to build up varying layers of metal such as Alclad to achieve a realistic bare metal finish which can then be glossed over if you which to go for a polished look. It’s all about the way the metal paint is applied. A few tightly mottled coats of the base metal to give it a grain and then lighter coats of the metal to build it up a bit.

B11B499E-3B58-4574-ACDF-1C8F81545231-X4.

F103D1B8-D887-4DCD-8B79-FBE74B2E006D-X4.

E740E91B-9C97-47B8-ABB0-4E59E39C0A90-X5.

20 hours ago, Lud13 said:

Nice Pony Mike.

Is that gray gloss surface or matt ?

Thanks Lud,

The grey parts are bare plastic parts I stole from a Tamiya kit in order to turn

a -5 into a -15.

I want to make clear that I'm not criticizing the use of black base as it can be

used just fine as demonstrated by Eric's models.

Edited by MikeMaben

16 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I finally found the test I did a couple years ago.

That's one great test. Do you have some pictures from test examples directly above them ?