Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

mustang1989

8 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Kevin.

I'm getting pretty close to being done with the dash. I took a couple of liberties with it just to have at least a little fun. I still have the foot pedals to construct and put under it and to install a tachometer on the dash but it's pretty much where I want it. I took Macro shots against my better judgement. With that being said, the blems that show up in this pic won't be seen by the naked eye. 

I think we can all relate to that, Joe. Frequently I grab a couple of photos of some part or another that I think looks really good in 1:1, but when viewing the image on my computer (which can be four or five times larger than the real part), it looks terrible, causing me to go back and touch it up again. Actually, I see that as a good thing. If it looks good when magnified in size on the computer screen, it'll usually look great as a 1:1.

After a weekend I've made some more progress on this bad boy.

Then I robbed the foot pedal assemblies from an AMT Mustang kit and cut the grossly over scale swing levers from the back of each pedal.

DfYPsv.jpg

qBpUpy.jpg

Then I formed up the levers and made some mounts on the back side of the dash in which to mount the swing pedals to.....

fPa12g.jpg

I finished this part up this morning by painting the swing levers and pedals. I also darkened the steering wheel wooden ring just a tad.....

Wt5XXm.jpg

Thanks all!

Well I got some more done on her this week. I cut the rear and two side windows out of thin clear styrene and decaled the side windows up with racing stickers. Just waiting on those to dry so I can dunk 'em in some Future so I should be going in with those tomorrow it looks like.

Then came the moment I've been waiting for at the rear of the car. Upon close inspection of the deck lid you can see some lock studs, quick release pins and cables at the rear most corners of the lid. I received my lock pin set two days ago so I was able to get some progress done on that.

Reference shot:

Progress so far. Still have to dot the 4 spots on each plate to simulate screws with some Molotow and add the cables later but here we are for now:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the absence everybody. Got a BIG update here. You know fellas.....every once in a while you have to negotiate a TRUE hurdle in modeling. Sometimes it's paint, sometimes it's fit and sometimes it's things like I've been going through for the past week.....the assembly process. I've been building models for a long time and lemme tell ya.....nothing....I mean NOTHING has tested my patience and my abilities as a modeler as much as this aftermarket Liberty shifter from Futureattraction. To put it lightly...this shifter looks absolutely fantastic after it's all been put together. But therein lies the hurdle.....the assembly. At 26 pieces it is one of the most intricate PE items that I have taken on yet. I kid you not....I've got every bit of 7 hours wrapped up in this thing. I had half of it pieced together one morning after spending an hour + on it and the very next day upon picking it up to continue......it all came apart. Yeah....stuff like that and then being under the optivisor the whole time. Eyes hurt...got a headache...got pissed off......contemplated throwing stuff and I think I made up new curse words along the way . Feel free to contact me for the updated curse word list.

I've still got to cut that one long pin off ( I'm leaving it in place to be able to work with it for shift rods install) and have just a little clean up left to go as far as glue smears but a little thinner and that'll go away. I felt a TRUE sense of accomplishment when I got up from the bench this morning and wanted to show that to you all.

The Liberty Shifter:

and that scale reference shot:

Nice!

definitely a TaDaaah! Moment!

looks like the real thing too! Next question, are you putting shifter rods on it?

i once got the 1-2 shift rod and the 3-4 shift rods switched around on a Trans Am after a clutch job, (back in my apprentice days) I wondered why the car was so gutless in low gear until I went to 3rd Gear and got 1st and almost ate the steering wheel...it all became quite clear then what I’d done!

I hear you Don. It was a true test of my patience as a modeler on this one. 

Chris: LOL 

Working on the rest of the interior now. I didn't like the OOB door panels ………………..at ALL. First off , the OOB armrest and inside door latch handle were barely visible. No "Maverick" trim bezel was present at the top of the trim panel either. Being a car than only sees the track....it's not SUPPOSED to have a window crank handle either....BUT...it was molded in and I decided to install a PE handle and knob from the spares bin. The armrest was made out of spare resin parts block retainers that I had, the door latch handles were made out of square bits of PE that I bent and glued into place and the trim bezel was from extra window crank knobs that I had in stock. What I'm NOT liking in this photo is the plain look of the window crank handle. Will have to fix that prior to the next update.

Interior in the foreground is OOB with the one I'm using in the back ground.....

Edited by mustang1989