Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

mustang1989

5 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Nice work.  Carbs look good.

Thank you for your comments as well Mike. 

Throttle linkage is around 90% complete. Still gotta and the levers from the firewall to the throttle quadrant (that still has to be added as well) and from the quadrant up to the carburetors. 

ySnYkh.jpg

cMnZTC.jpg

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage-12/04
On 12/4/2020 at 5:47 PM, MARU5137 said:

Just caught up with the build. 

Your workmanship  is EXEMPLARY. 

:bow:

I love the Engine. Smart work all round .

Love the detailing.

:wow:    :clap2:

Thanks  a ton for all the "Likes" and the comments MARU! Working on the bumper now. Unbelievable sink marks in it to the point to where it's just allllmost unusable. BUT.....we'll fix 'er up.

I'll finish building the engine up in the car after I get the body, interior and chassis all mated together. 

So far it seems that everything is going to work. Just gotta get those inner fenders / shock towers in now and we're home free for the final assembly phase. This is EXACTLY what I was shooting for. The only thing that has me bothered is an excessive angle on the engine. I've got a couple of ideas to iron things out a bit. On the home stretch now....

uyINhV.jpg

f1XTbO.jpg

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-On the Home Stretch-12/09

Just a little closer today but has taken alot of work to get this far. I had to redo the throttle linkage twice at the intake due to weird angles I had with the linkage set up. Got it all straightened out now. Also added a PE radiator cap for a little extra detail. I'm back to having to work with the hood just a tad to get it to close fully but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Complete-12/13
On 12/13/2020 at 2:13 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Looking quite wonderful, Joe.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, Gazzas said:

Very nice work, Joe!  So much nicer than my 76' Maverick!

Thanks fellas!! Gazz....you lucky DOG!! You've got a Maverick?

After looking at this thing a little more I just felt that it really needed a throttle spring to bring the whole linkage assembly to life.

There....much better....

spacer.png

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Continued-12/17
2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks fellas!! Gazz....you lucky DOG!! You've got a Maverick?

I had a Maverick.  A 76 four-door with three on the tree.   By 1987 when I traded it in, Michigan cancer had done a real number on the back fenders.  Unfortunately, the car I traded it for was nowhere near as reliable as the Maverick.

Kudos on that engine!  Looks nice and functional.

Edited by Gazzas

On 12/17/2020 at 11:35 PM, Gazzas said:

I had a Maverick.  A 76 four-door with three on the tree.   By 1987 when I traded it in, Michigan cancer had done a real number on the back fenders.  Unfortunately, the car I traded it for was nowhere near as reliable as the Maverick.

Kudos on that engine!  Looks nice and functional.

Well....at least you had a Maverick. lol. We've all had our cars we wished we still had though.

Thanks for the comments bud.

Well everybody.....I finally finished this bad boy.

When I started this project one year ago almost to the day I just didn't realize what ride I was in for. This started life as a Jo-Han kit and I quickly found out that it would become much more on down the line. The only things used out of this kit were the body, base interior tub (which got modified at that) and the engine. The rest....went in the trash. The chassis is from AMT's 67 Mustang Fastback, interior is almost all aftermarket stuff to include the 27 piece shifter and the 25 piece seat belt harness. In fact so much scratch and up level detailing was done in the interior that I don't even know where to start. Total parts count for the interior alone is 125 pieces in all. Extensive mods were done to the chassis to get everything to "work" and although not accurate it allowed me to achieve the stance and overall look that I was after. Probably the BIGGEST hang up I had with this car was trying to figure out how to fabricate the shock tower/ inner fenderwells for it because I just couldn't get anything to work. After MANY hours in thought and experimentation I ended up fabbing them up from soda can aluminum. 

Paint....I used Tamiya's Pure Red with a Testors Wet Look clear. Car decals were from a supplier on Ebay....forgot the vendor.  Wheels and tires are from the parts bin except for the rear wheels which I used from Revells 41 Willy's gasser kit. All lettering on the sidewalls of the tires are from Slixx decals. The engine has details from so many different suppliers that I forgot half of where I got everything from. LOTS of scratch work though. Cooling fans are from the Revell Rick Dobbertin Pontiac J2000 kit and again....were heavily modified to fit into this car. This was definitely a test of my abilities as a modeler to say the least but I learned ALOT from this build (as well as learned a few new curse words). There are inaccuracies that'll be noticed by anyone who knows anything about this car and a few liberties taken here and there in the name of adding interest to the car but I feel like it came out alright. I also left off the wheelie bars. I was going to scratchbuild a set but the longer I looked at it the more I thought that they would detract from the overall looks of the car. Any how.....I present here...the finished product.

uOHXCS.jpg

Ve3BfW.jpg

•  
Edited by mustang1989

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

THAT! is freakin awesome!!

brings back the memory of the smell of burnt rubber from smoke shows and drag races...when we all owned muscle cars.

Side story; had a buddy put a 429 SCJ in a Bobcat...or was it a Pinto? Can’t remember now but it was lime green hatchback. He offered me a ride, I jumped on that opportunity!

he dropped the thing into gear and squashed the loud peddle and at that moment I realized the passenger seat was missing a couple of bolts, the front two! My seat flipped over rotating like a F-18 going ballistic! I ended up with my head on the back seat looking up through the rear window. He stomped on the brakes and I re-rotated forward like a weighted punching bag...man we laughed!
Looking back on it I should have been mad for the lack of safety but...times were different...and waaay more fun!

Back on topic, beautiful job on the Maverick!
What’s next? I’ll definitely pull up a chair...and bolt it down