Jump to content

Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Engine Progress-11/21


Recommended Posts

I haven't done a race car in I don't know how long but I've had this Jo-Han Maverick in my stash for a couple of years and wanted to build it but didn't know what theme I was going with until I saw Don Nicholson's ride. I knew right away that I HAD to build it....and so.....along with my re-intro here I'll give this my best shot.


The kit (I bought this kit a couple of years back for $50......you don't want to know what it goes for these days....WOW!!) 


Lj24uv.jpg

The Subject:

ouNdoH.jpg

Edited by mustang1989
Link to post
Share on other sites

Former Maverick owner here!  Build on, My friend!  Mine had a straight 6, 200 cubic inch motor with three on the tree!  So reliable and a consistent 26mpg.  If only Michigan cancer hadn't claimed the body. 

 

It was a four door and wasn't pretty...  but I loved that car.

6107563593_ecc9754454_b.jpg

It didn't have the blue on the bottom half, but otherwise just like this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This reminds me that I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to snatch another car model. There are a few car and truck models out there that I'm interested in, specifically so that I can do one or two as a tribute to my birth year, if that makes any sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 2:13 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! 

 

Thanks Brian!

 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Awesome. I have only a couple real race cars that I eventually want to tackle, like the Ohio George '33 Willys Gasser. I'll be watching to see what sort of magic you pull off with this kit, Joe.

 

I know the Willys that you're talking about Kevin. That one would be pretty cool to see built up. Go for it man!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Former Maverick owner here!  Build on, My friend!  Mine had a straight 6, 200 cubic inch motor with three on the tree!  So reliable and a consistent 26mpg.  If only Michigan cancer hadn't claimed the body. 

 

It was a four door and wasn't pretty...  but I loved that car.

 

 

 

I've always like the lines of a Maverick. 26 mpg??? Wow!! That was almost unheard of back in those days. Four door or not they still look great!! Thanks for the encouragement Gaz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

This reminds me that I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to snatch another car model. There are a few car and truck models out there that I'm interested in, specifically so that I can do one or two as a tribute to my birth year, if that makes any sense.

 

Yes sir it does. I'd really like to see you build another car Kevin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, mustang1989 said:

I know the Willys that you're talking about Kevin. That one would be pretty cool to see built up. Go for it man!

 

Tamiya makes a powder blue lacquer that's almost a dead match, and decals are available too. They also make Stone, Woods & Cook, as well as John Masmanian gasser decals. I may do all three.

 

On 1/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, mustang1989 said:

Yes sir it does. I'd really like to see you build another car Kevin.

 

Well, you keep putting stuff like this in front of me, and I just may well be adding my own pretty soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling up a chair, gonna have to subscribe to this channel soon the builds are sooooo interesting!

ive got some history with the base model too....NEVER, EVER! cross the power steering lines on a linkage assist power steering and put your arm through the steering wheel spokes to start the engine!! Almost last an arm!!

anyway, back to watching now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 3:28 PM, LSP_K2 said:

 

Tamiya makes a powder blue lacquer that's almost a dead match, and decals are available too. They also make Stone, Woods & Cook, as well as John Masmanian gasser decals. I may do all three.

 

 

Well, you keep putting stuff like this in front of me, and I just may well be adding my own pretty soon.

 

iXxmdK.gif

 

Couldn't help myself. lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, chrish said:

Pulling up a chair, gonna have to subscribe to this channel soon the builds are sooooo interesting!

ive got some history with the base model too....NEVER, EVER! cross the power steering lines on a linkage assist power steering and put your arm through the steering wheel spokes to start the engine!! Almost last an arm!!

anyway, back to watching now.

 

Great to have you along Chris. LOL! I never did that on my Mustang and I could have with that early PS set up.

 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, 1to1scale said:

I had a 75’ Maverick Grabber with no cats, that was a true tire fryer. 

 

LOL! Light cars with total lack of any kind of traction control devices. Been there and done that. lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't like the interior much on this kit. For one....I cannot STAND molded in foot pedals and I don't care for the ejector pin marks in all four corners of the flooring either. And they are like in painfully obvious and highly visible places. It's not "correct" but I had to modify the rear of the interior to move those slicks further inboard so they don't protrude outside of the rear fenders all crazy looking. I also had to modify the rear of the chassis alot (which I am still working on) for the same reason. Secondly, this kit is severely lacking in detail so I'm hoping to improve on that as time goes along here.
A shot showing the OOB molded in pedals and flooring.

Image

another shot showing the interior mods a little clearer:(as well as those nasty ejector pin marks):

Image

We start the mod process by sawing off the foot board/ lower firewall area of the interior:

Image

and then after the new Evergreen floor and lower firewall area were cut to fit and moved into place. There....much better.

Image

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Engine Progress-11/21

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...