Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

mustang1989

It's been quite a while since I've worked on a car model, Joe, but you now have me seriously thinking of cranking up my '40 Willys gasser kit (the coupe), scheme as yet undetermined. If I go more or less OOB, which is very likely, I should be able to blow through it in no time. I have a couple of paint tricks that I'm dying to try out anyway. (Naturally enough I'll start my own thread though, rather than stepping on yours.)

3dAnts.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, LSP_K2 said:

It's been quite a while since I've worked on a car model, Joe, but you now have me seriously thinking of cranking up my '40 Willys gasser kit (the coupe), scheme as yet undetermined. If I go more or less OOB, which is very likely, I should be able to blow through it in no time. I have a couple of paint tricks that I'm dying to try out anyway. (Naturally enough I'll start my own thread though, rather than stepping on yours.)

3dAnts.jpg

This....I cannot wait to see. This is gonna be great man.

The chassis has undergone extensive modification in the last couple of weeks. Initially I was headed in a direction with the rear suspension that just wasn't looking right but have since made some changes. First off the front subframe area was shortened by 5/16 of an inch which looked ok but I had to acquire another Mustang kit in order to cut the rear frame rails from it to use in bringing both frame rails further inside to allow those rear slicks to further UNDER the car like the reference shot.

Before:

JCTUGn.jpg

And after repositioning the rear frame rails:

eMV0KQ.jpg

Before the chassis mods the rear tires were just hanging out there waaaay too far:

6eoiYY.jpg

This will be alot better. Gotta get the ride height correct for the rear as well as in the front but that shouldn't be much of a problem. I've also got some better wheels inbound which should help this build out ALOT.

wWp3R1.jpg

53 minutes ago, rigor said:

Looks better Joe funny thing about you use nascar for the rears. A buggy of mine used his buddy's old racing tires on his car that car was mean. Factory hp block 383 Stuff into a 68 dart 

Thanks Rigor. The funny thing about those tires is that I got them off of a 1/24 scale Mustang drag racer. They look a lot wider than NASCAR tires but you have given me something to think about. So far, however, they look more like the reference shots that I have of this car than any other tires that I've either got in stock or have seen around. May have to look around some more.

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Rigor. The funny thing about those tires is that I got them off of a 1/24 scale Mustang drag racer. They look a lot wider than NASCAR tires but you have given me something to think about. So far, however, they look more like the reference shots that I have of this car than any other tires that I've either got in stock or have seen around. May have to look around some more.

Other than the occasional engine part replacement, wheels and tires are the biggest issue I usually have to overcome with my car models. Many of the kit tires look like they'd be more at home on a John Deere combine than on a car.

13 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Other than the occasional engine part replacement, wheels and tires are the biggest issue I usually have to overcome with my car models. Many of the kit tires look like they'd be more at home on a John Deere combine than on a car.

Agreed. Like my model aircraft, I cut flats on the bottom of the tire...seems to help them not look like they’ve got 300psi in them.

keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments everybody. I've been haggling over the tires for the last couple of days and after conversing with Ted Bowe from Ted's Modeling Marketplace back and forth through emails, going through photo shots and doing ALOT of measuring and head scratching I've come up with a new set of slicks that I'm going to use for this thing. Additionally I was concerned with how the front ride height was going to be but once I test fitted everything into place...…….it pretty much fell into place. I might go just a tad lower in the front but I'm pretty happy that I don't have to do much here as this has been quite the gaggle in the way of mods on this car. This is the way this car is going to look now and it seems like it's a lot closer to the reference photos that I have of this car. Now I've just gotta score a Goodyear decal sheet to put the scripts onto the tires.

Reference shot:

0G59uZ.jpg

Updated parts and stance:

YddgMd.jpg

7sV6o2.jpg

jwwHSe.jpg

This is all a FAR cry from the way I had it:

wWp3R1.jpg

BTW.....did I mention that I found a set of aluminum slots for it?? Yeah.....those are on the way to me from Canada:

Mag_MicroNitro.JPG.eaf61f46d2e7fcb1f6ebf