Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-One Yr Project-Complete!!

mustang1989

So..... a lot like a full size dragster, lots of test fit, mock up, tear down, modify repeat.

then hope it goes straight and wins races at the end!

i see it has linkage assist power steering....word to the wise, never ever ever rebuild the assist cylinder, get the lines crossed then put your arm through the steering spokes to turn key/ start the car! It will do everything in its power to take your arm off...ask me how I know...

You're pretty much nailing this right on the head with building a full size car. That's what this little thing has turned into.

I have indeed heard stories about the lines being crossed on a power steering assist cylinder. My grandpa and dad used to talk about stuff like that when I was a kid. Yikes!!!! 

Looks like a “Sun” tach? Ahhhhhh that brings back memories! Buddy had a 70 Nova with a big block in it, big old Sun tach on the hood. Very fast car. He grenaded the engine one night, we spent a few hours picking parts up off the street. I found 4 pieces of camshaft about 3 lobes on each piece....both spectacular and tragic at the same time!

sorry...off topic! Very nice work here!!

17 minutes ago, chrish said:

Looks like a “Sun” tach? Ahhhhhh that brings back memories! Buddy had a 70 Nova with a big block in it, big old Sun tach on the hood. Very fast car. He grenaded the engine one night, we spent a few hours picking parts up off the street. I found 4 pieces of camshaft about 3 lobes on each piece....both spectacular and tragic at the same time!

sorry...off topic! Very nice work here!!

Seen that kind of stuff happen too. I worked at a GM Dealer in Corpus here and had a fellow technician / friend that brought his Mustang in the shop to work on. He had nitrous on it and accidentally energized one of the solenoids ..........all you heard was the rapid increase in RPM's from the engine ....a very LOUD "BWAAAAAAAAAAP"  and it was all over. Intake shot off of the engine and it died. Small mushroom cloud arose from the engine area. He just shut the hood and went home.....

Thank you for the encouraging words Chris. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok......I'm finally back in action on this one. After months and months of thought and fizzled out ideas I've finally got it.

First off...I had an idea for the fenderwells that have been giving me so much grief and pause on this build. We'll be moving forward using soda can aluminum for those. I have to move the shock tower just a shade to the rear of the engine bay to make this work so here's the plan moving forward.

First off, I didn't have a Diet Coke can but I did have a Sprite offering.

vIjkmO.jpg

Modified shock tower that will be adhered to the inner fenderwell is laying just in front of the radiator core support area:

1SFSQB.jpg

More coming.........

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the engine installed and the headers painted and attached. Those couple of items may not sound like a whole lot but believe me....there was a whole lot of planning, test fitting and modifying to make just those few items happen. Added a small amount of blueing to the end of the exhaust outlets. Not much.....just enough for effect. I also painted and installed the driveshaft.

About all that's left here is to fabricate some steering linkage and the bottom side will be done save for some scratch built wheelie bars.

l52DvN.jpg

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Moving Forward-10/22
  • 3 weeks later...

Still some tweeking left to do with the spark plug wire "boots" in the way of shortening them some but you get the idea behind the method.

Over the course of the last week I've been at it again as far as engineering goes. I chucked up several of these pins that I have in the drill and ground the ends against a file to reduce the diameter of the pin heads.

Then I cut all of the down to the same length (which they still need a little shortening).

And here the plug wire boots test fitted into place. Just gotta shorten them some and then paint them semi gloss black and they'll be fully prepped for the wire install. (Part of what's been stalling this is waiting on the ignition wire to arrive in the mail which happened yesterday so forward we go) ...

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo-Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-PROGRESS!!-11/12