How to use Vallejo Putty

I would like to see more shots of filled parts once they had got a coat of primer. My experience is, that's when you can tell if the filler is right or not*

It's an interesting product 

Richard

*If you are really unlucky, after a couple of layers of top coat :unsure:

5 hours ago, Shawn M said:

i had terrible shrinkage using it, will watch the vid to see if it was user error

You have to use it in the smallest amounts possible to avoid this. It's also not particularly strong compared to many other fillers, so you can't really use it for larger gaps anyway. I find it great for hairline cracks and gaps (like those shown in the video thumbnail above), where you can smear it in, and then remove the excess with a moistened cotton bud.

Kev

I think these reasons are just some of the reasons I've never trusted air-dry type putty filler for anything other than a whisper of a crack. I much prefer CA mixed with a portion of Micro-balloons (some sub talc, but I find the MB easier to work with and highly controllable and sandable) as it makes for a stable base to re-scribe on, and unlike pure CA, its not harder than the surrounding plastic, therefor sands at about the same rate depending on what you are doing, and how much of the MB are added.

Like others have said, I find the putty useful for filling tiny gaps and cracks.  It certainly is not as tough as two part epoxy type fillers, but does work well when used for really small jobs.  The tube tip makes it easy to apply accurately and allows one to reach tough locations such as a wheel well corner or edge so that is an advantage.  The video shows a couple of good uses for the putty like filling the tiny gap where fins join the fuselage or bomb body. 

Edited by Greif8
Word Selection