Craft Cutters For Masks Thread

Uncarina

I currently have been using Oramask 810 and Tamiya masking sheets, but aftermarket masks made by Maketar and Montex appear to use a different, translucent vinyl. Does anyone know what this is and how to purchase sheets? It sure would be helpful to work with a translucent masks for alignment and positioning.

Thanks,  Tom

On 1/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, Uncarina said:

Could we have a consolidated pinned thread for questions and answers related to making masks with craft cutters such as those made by Cameo and Silhouette? I think it would be helpful to have a place to discuss settings, suppliers, and techniques.

Cheers,  Tom

yes I would be very interested too. been looking into getting one of these and chasing around different threads to try and find some advice/tips/thoughts etc.

Pulling up my virtual chair to watch this with interest. 

I've been tempted recently, thinking I might like to get me one of these machines. At first I thought simply to replace national insignia, but having seen what's possible,  I wanna do a whole lot more. 

Starting with producing a set of masks for my Mustang, to represent Big Beautiful Doll. How I'd love to mask the chequerboard work, serial numbers, insignia, and letter work. 

I’ve just invested in one (Portrait 2) myself so certainly interested in hearing other modellers’ experiences.  A couple of the chaps in my local club have them and reported good results.

What convinced me was the ability to use it to produce multiple complex and identical shapes, such as masks for afterburner cans and also parts in thin styrene which need to match precisely.

Today I received my Silhouette Portrait 2, and a 5 meter roll of ORAMAS 810 which should last for a while :D

For a first try I took a US insignia picture from wikipedia. Since I'm not really familiar yet with vector graphics, I just imported the picture as screenshot (raster graphic). In the Sihouette software, the picture can be easily transformed into cutting lines. I tried without the cutting mat, adjusted the corresponding settings in the software (no cutting mat, vinyl as material), et voilà: full succes

uaPmtcz.jpg

Seems to be a great tool, and - from my first impression - easier to use than i feared. Recommended!

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got all the advice I needed to cut masks on my Cameo so I want to share here. The trick is in the settings and the trickiest setting is awkwardly named Line Segment Overcut. What this setting does is lifts the blade at the end of each cut and prevents the swiveling blade from pulling up the mask, especially very small things. 

Hope someone finds this helpful.

170409604.jpg