Tamiya P-51D discussion of extra parts and block differences

Steve Eagle

The Tamiya kit, while excellent, is a mish-mash of production blocks.  There are details that belong on later production aircraft that need to be removed if modeling an earlier production aircraft but are not mentioned in the instructions (I.e., the hydraulic reservoir access door in front of the windscreen...not there on dash 10 or  dash 15 aircraft ).  There are also no instructions to correct/modify access panels that we're added, deleted, moved, or changed shape during the production of the aircraft.  No mention of the swayback and production DFF (dorsal fun fillet)...which is understandable and very easily incorporated if one chooses.  These may be beyond what the average builder will reach for but knowing gives the builder options not otherwise available.

There Is a comprehensive details review by Tourist (a noted P-51 authority) describing all the detail issues with the kit.  I believe it may even be on LSP someplace.

Edited by Juggernut

45 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

I for one love to see what "Tourist" has written about the Tamiya kit.

I have checked the Tweaks post without success.

Anyone know where this can be accessed?

I found it. It's on ARC : Aircraft Resource Center - 1/32 P-51 Review (of sorts) by Tourist.

4 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

Will be building it straight from the box...looks amazing, thanks Tamiya!

If you were going to add one thing it would be the barracuda cockpit placards, they really do add a lot as none of the pit stencils are present and they are everywhere.