Academy F/A-18 D-to-B??

Artful69

To build an RAAF twin holer ...

I have a spare A kit - so theoretically the vertical stabilisers are covered ... my question is more cockpit related ... 

Can I utilise the kit parts to make the B cockpit or do I have to shell out for the resin conversion??

Also is there any notable external differences between the B and the D that will be glaringly obvious in '32 scale??

Thanks in advance

Rog :)

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Thanks as always Andy ... I think I might be able to decipher what's going on in that link?? ... 

Still not sure after reading through it 3 times!!

47 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

To B or not to D.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

SMH Kev ... SMH ... I believe the American vernacular for my response is: "Lame!" :D

The main thing in the old thread regarding the cockpit is that the kit does include the A/B front IP, but not the rear B IP.

There are also antenna differences, but all the parts are there, so it’s just a case of adding some unused parts, and leaving others off.  For example, leave off the two white bumps on the spine just behind the cockpit, and add the inserts with the small antenna bulges under the front of the intakes.

37 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The main thing in the old thread regarding the cockpit is that the kit does include the A/B front IP, but not the rear B IP.

There are also antenna differences, but all the parts are there, so it’s just a case of adding some unused parts, and leaving others off.  For example, leave off the two white bumps on the spine just behind the cockpit, and add the inserts with the small antenna bulges under the front of the intakes.

Ahhhh ... ok ... Thanks Dave ... but the way I read it is that two sets of IP's are provided, yeah? ... so from what my research and others tell me so far is that the IP's for the early RAAF B were both the same as it was a trainer ... and these are essentially the same as an early D??

Edited by Artful69

5 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

There are a couple of books to consider, the one from Daco, and the Modern Hornet Guide, no doubt both are excellent - I have neither - and will retain if not increase in value when served their purpose. 

I'd send TTail a pm also. 

Thanks ... I'll get onto the book thing - I've had the suggestion thrown my way a couple of times now - I wanted to make sure I could get all of the bits required before utilising a reference.

32 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Ahhhh ... ok ... Thanks Dave ... but the way I read it is that two sets of IP's are provided, yeah? ... so from what my research and others tell me so far is that the IP's for the early RAAF B were both the same as it was a trainer ... and these are essentially the same as an early D??

There are two front IPs in the kit.  One is for a A/B.  The other is for the C/D.  There are two different rear IPs provided, but both are for D models.  One is for the Night Attack D, the other is for the the standard D.  Neither are for the B.  

Edited by Dave Williams

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

There are two front IPs in the kit.  One is for a A/B.  The other is for the C/D.  There are two different rear IPs provided, but both are for D models.  One is for the Night Attack D, the other is for the the standard D.  Neither are for the B.  

Gotcha!