Building a Aircraft Carrier Flight Deck/ Tie downs

A year or two ago I found a web page of a gentleman ( I believe he was a Japanese modeler) building a flight deck. He had 5 building steps from build to painting. I would like to find this video again.

I am trying to find the spacing of the Tie downs/ pad eyes on a carrier deck also.

I appreciate your assistance gentemen.

If you're talking about US carrier decks, I did one a couple years back, based on a lot of photos and some guesswork. There were usually 10-11 6 inch planks between each tie down strip, which would make it about 6 spacing, though it seemed to vary quite a bit on different parts of the ship. See what you think.

Edited by BiggTim

On 1/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, USMC Herc said:

A year or two ago I found a web page of a gentleman ( I believe he was a Japanese modeler) building a flight deck. He had 5 building steps from build to painting. I would like to find this video again.

I am trying to find the spacing of the Tie downs/ pad eyes on a carrier deck also.

I appreciate your assistance gentemen.

While BiggTim addressed the earlier WWII era decks with the deck-wide pierced steel tie-down strips between wood planks; it seems you are inquiring about more modern decks with the little circular fixtures? Are these the pad eyes you refer to? I'm wondering if these could be laser-cut? My guess is they are a cast metal fixture with a dish-shaped bottom and the tie-down on top. Can anyone shed a little light here for the un-educated? I'd be happy to try and laser the tie-down thingy.

jimbo

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

While BiggTim addressed the earlier WWII era decks with the deck-wide pierced steel tie-down strips between wood planks; it seems you are inquiring about more modern decks with the little circular fixtures? Are these the pad eyes you refer to? I'm wondering if these could be laser-cut? My guess is they are a cast metal fixture with a dish-shaped bottom and the tie-down on top. Can anyone shed a little light here for the un-educated? I'd be happy to try and laser the tie-down thingy.

jimbo

Correct. A bowl shaped depression with a rather hefty five bar arrangement that is welded to the outside top of the bowl.

Without knowing which carrier he wants to depict, I can’t help much further. I’ll leave you with a link to how I built a launch scene for a 1/48 carrier deck. Same principle applies...padeyes from shapeways and Suede paint from the local Home Depot. Of course my photos are garbage thanks to a certain hosting site that I won’t name. Post 77 shows how I did it...

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=29067

Hth

Peter 

Edited by easixpedro

I have a set of these that Tim Perry (wunwinglow) made years ago in 1/72.  Combination of white metal tubs and etched spiders.  I even bought a drill bit in the specific size required, as specified in the instructions.

The project is currently, er, stalled for some reason that I have forgotten, it being from some decades ago but I will use them when it is resurrected.

Not that it probably makes that much difference in 1:32 scale, but the bars are just that,... round bars, not flat like you'll get with P.E. I have a great photo here somewhere. Assuming I can actually find it, I'll post it up here.

I am Looking for measurements on a Nimitz carrier. I have looked and found that the distance between Pat eyes 90mm.

Now I am trying to find the measurement across the catapult. And blast fence dimensions. 

I am currently using a print of the deck, using the 90mm dimension, to try and figure out cat. and fence.

Cheers

Jason