NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

Progress came to a halt a while back when I realized the back half of the ball turret had been lost. I spent a couple of days looking for it, put a message in to HK Models (they ignored me, as I was told they would) After all that help, I then decided the only way to get my project anywhere near back on the rails was to take responsibility and make a part myself (thank goodness I have a stash) I dug out the last B-17 I have in my stash and made a mold and casting of the needed part.

the kit part in the mold

KDmTJKH.jpg

HFI1Bul.jpg

The spare kit part on the right my resin copy on the left

YWlMr5w.jpg

hopefully back on track now.

Thanks Kev. I walled in the inside “hollow” part with sheet plastic, basically turning the part into a cup. The sides I added were glued to the alignment tabs on the master (leaving a gap between the master and side walls) and then pva glue was used to make a sealing bead around the circumference of the part. I then made an alignment grid and glued that to the top of the part. The part was then mounted in a “pour box” also made with plastic sheet and filled with MOLD silicon.

once dry and cured, I removed the master from the box, removed the sides (only required to keep the MOLD rubber inside the part, and needing to be removed to have 0 clearance on the sides. I’ve never had any luck with mold release agent so, the silicon in side the part was sprayed with Tamiya flat black (my version of mold release) inverted back into the pour box and the outside component was poured. Once all that was set up I Could make the part. I poured a puddle of resin into the “outer part” then the inside part wash pushed back in forcing the into place, excess overflowing out the ends.

does this make sense? Easier to do than describe it seems... 

Thanks everyone! I really got lucky having another B-17 in the stash!! and even luckier the mold/cast worked...sometimes the sun really does shine on a dogs butt!

I have been building components for the model and am currently working on the landing gear. HK Models very nicely key the tires to the wheel rims and the wheel wheels to the gear legs so that when it's all put together the model sits nicely on the provided tire "flat spots". However what HK Models didn't consider is turning the keys, or providing a separate option for "wheel up"  so if built as is the wheels will be nicely tucked up in their bays with flat spots on the bottoms. Easy enough to fix in this case, I just sawed off the keys on the wheel rims so I could rotate the tire to have the flat spot up.

The main wheels, keyed so the flat spot of the D is up

2Tvx1HG.jpg

Sawed off the tab

u0abLDS.jpg

wheels up 

Mdl1xEC.jpg

This is just an incredible project! Honestly when you said in the first post it might take years, I was disappointed that this would be one of those threads that has 10 pages of posts about planning, but never gets to the build. Instead, you've dived right into this very intense project and are already more than halfway done! Your work is great, the subject is fascinating, and the frequent updates and pics are appreciated. 

Can I ask what figures you're using for the bomber crew?