NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

The 109 looks good, good luck with the 17. On a side note, pretty sure you can put the wheels up on any 109 model. I did on my Eduard E4, I just shaved the tires down, and glued them in there. Then glued on the the landing gear covers.

Thanks for keeping my mojo going guys! I really appreciate the back pats...I do have to keep reminding myself that a pat on the back is only 18 inches from a kick in the butt though, so when (not if) I make a mistake I know I'll get busted on it by somebody...:)

I like the fact that you started with the pilot figures. It sets the mood for the build very well.

I am curious on the techniques you will be using to make the battle damage. I have thinned styrene  fuselage sections from behind then punched holes outward. Also I used aluminum paper, glued to the surface, and the damage looked incredibly realistic. Just some ideas...

Alain

Thank you!

I'm definitely open to suggestions, I may remove molded kit skin and add thin sheet plastic and/ or foil to the areas I plan on perforating. I've also been experimenting with tissue (flying balsa model tissue, not the blow your nose tissue) for shredded fabric. Here's a couple of my earlier attempts at wrecks from a few years ago (almost 18 years ago now...time flies!)

These are all from my early days of returning to modelling

1:32 Hasegawa kits ;

Fw 190 A...? Inspired from the cover of a Luftwaffe im focus 

MO3agvy.jpg

qeDFTfT.jpg

Fw 190 d-9   Inspired by a web image, the actual aircraft was an A-8

yQ4RMRw.jpg

AtWzWV5.jpg

H4Y9UMi.jpg

A6M52C...I think....imagination

uN0WcoJ.jpg

T0GQBHx.jpg

6Pk6NaG.jpg

Please excuse the dust, spider webs and hair in the pictures, these models have been faithfully collecting dust for almost 2 decades

Trying to thin the plastic. I started by scraping the plastic with a hobby knife, worked my way up to carving plastic out with a chisel then finally a cutting tool in a Dremel this is going to be time consuming work due to the thickness of the molded plastic parts. I had at first, while planning this (the last few years) figured on doing hundreds of flack and bullet holes...I'm now thinking I may do large area damage (big pieces taken out) and only poke holes in the fuselage where ejector pin marks are to give myself a "finite" number of puncture wounds. I'm aware there is also a 1/32 vacuum formed B-17 but I think its a G model and wouldn't work for this.
I could also put this type of building on a time budget and do a bit of grinding/ thinning each day so it doesn't become a task (this is my most likely route) that'll probably push the build/ destruction into months or more before completion...although it is just a hobby...
pics to show the amount of plastic removed to obtain a "blow through" during practice work on spare, not to be used nose sections

NsqQF5v.jpg

atrZFpq.jpg