NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

Thanks for looking in on me

I've cut and separated various items on the control quadrant to get the impression of engine troubles, if my thinking is correct (too late now) I have #2 at throttle low stop/ shut off and prop feathered and #4 at reduced power...maybe?

I've also gotten about 8-10 sections thinned in each nose 1/2 to make flack damage holes in. 

Thinning the plastic, in progress

KUdYS0s.jpg

zcADaes.jpg

control quadrant with some adjustments

NoFPWah.jpg

xWZy9wu.jpg

Thanks for looking

3 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

That flak damage looks awesome. 

Care to share your secret to creating it? 

Thanks for looking, no real secret. My buddies call it craziness...that probably helps all right!

my thinking with the flack damage is the plastic has to be as thin as possible, to that end I use a Dremel with carbide cutter (run through a home made resistor to get the speed as slow as possible) to thin the plastic then chisels to smooth the grind marks out. I hold the piece up to a fairly strong light until I can see through it in the thinned area, that location is now good to proceed with damage. I paint the whole piece with Alclad metal colours (different shades) then a coat of chipping agent, in this case Vallejo thinned with Windex, then a yellow zinc chromate-ish  primer then color coat then, drill into the plastic followed by a dull exacto blade which I twist and turn to tear and mangle the hole, then wet the damaged area and do the chipping, inside and outside....my newest acquisition Mission Models paints doesn’t lend itself to this very well, it sticks tougher than Tamiya, my favourite paint. Every model is a learning experience...

Thank you for looking! and the encouragement!!

I have been (as always) working from on line pictures of other folks work. I was surprised by the corrections that HK models has made to every shortfall picked out by these discerning modellers!!

Right down to a stringer being pointed out as being above a radio box instead of below it...I guess the company reads/ sees their reviews. Some of what I've noticed so far; 

Wing spar box causing a step in the radio room, the above mentioned stringer, the ball turret ammo boxes, the layout of the instrument panel...some pics.

The following images were copied from another modellers work to compare to my kit

Here he's fixing the bulkhead

MG3PFpH.jpg

iAQHJJD.jpg

The same bulkhead in my kit;

Ow6v1EA.jpg

The other builder had to section the ip to get the position correct

Rby4s2R.jpg

Two panels in my kit, both positioned correctly, ie moved up.

l7MQMZP.jpg

The other builders step in the radio room 

wGeEZ2R.jpg

at the top of this pic, the floor of my kit's radio room

dFwSMw3.jpg

basic construction continues on the B-17

Its a very nice kit...a kind of a shame to build it as a wreck.

My reference states that any crew occupied area and bulkhead should be "dark dull green". From the bomb bay back and waste area bare aluminum with dark green stringers...going with that, I've painted the stringers and partial ribs on the bomb bay roof in green. I'll eventually be using the wall mount adapter to mount the  model on it's "in flight" stick so I tried doing the bay up nicely.

lgcYoSH.jpg

nPRZMch.jpg

d7JrPph.jpg

VX7hXsB.jpg

Thanks for looking

I have set the fuselage and interior aside thinking I would like to try "flak" and gun fire damage to the wings. I tied a few methods of determining where and how to put the damage on and finally came up with the idea of flicking tinted wet spatter on the wings from stiff a bristle brush in order to get random, or at least less concentrated injuries then, circling those spots and thinning the plastic from beneath to eventually tear out to match the markings on the outside surface....Makes sense?

In my thinking, with damage coming from enemy action (and flack) the damage would be focused on trying to take out the engines. so most of the damage will be aimed in the engines directions.

Left wing

UERatqI.jpg

Right wing

kdyJlTL.jpg

plastic thinned and starting to do the damage

2S5EOlX.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks for the encouragement and keeping me company...I may need a push now and then on this one.

It was pointed out to me that the book cover shows the flight crew without O2 masks...I buggered up! I panicked a bit and finally remembered I had a resin 1/32 B-25 crew that I'd built up and painted for a dio. that was never realized. I duly went and beheaded a couple of the officers from that set and Frankenstein'd them onto this aircrew. My figure painting may have improved a bit since then but at least the heads are true to the book cover now.

YCTxaTg.jpg

Thanks for looking