NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

6 minutes ago, Subodai said:

Should they not be more or less mirrors of each other top and bottom? Especially if it's flak damage? Can you have a hole in the top without a corresponding hole in the bottom?

I would think that would indeed be true for some of it...............I would think that internal structures like engines, spars, wiring, hydraulics, framing, electrical, and other stuff may prevent some of it from going all the way through. 

Agreed, some holes do go straight through but look really wrong with nothing inside the wing! short of building lattice structure ribs to see inside and match up all the entrance and exit wounds this is acceptable to me (keep in mind I strive for mediocrity) Also, most of the "imaginary" shot isn't travelling in a perfectly straight line perpendicular to the wing, I'm imagining that some came from behind, from enemy fighter action, some from the sides as it flew through debris from exploding flack, some from the front (again, flack) etc etc. 

But thanks for the input!

I’d expect that jagged fragments of FlaK projectiles would potentially arrive from any direction and not necessarily follow a straight path, particularly after encountering airframe parts, so fragment damage could be different on upper and lower wing.

Straight through holes can certainly result from hits by explosive smaller calibre rounds such as 2cm though.

Looks good so far - apart from the nerve required, it looks like a lot of work.

3 minutes ago, Wegener said:

I’d expect that jagged fragments of FlaK projectiles would potentially arrive from any direction and not necessarily follow a straight path, particularly after encountering airframe parts, so fragment damage could be different on upper and lower wing.

Straight through holes can certainly result from hits by explosive smaller calibre rounds such as 2cm though.

Looks good so far - apart from the nerve required, it looks like a lot of work.

Thanks!

Tell me about it....I hated cutting into the kit when I first started doing it! I still stop and think I’m making a mistake and will wreck this beautiful kit!
a buddy used to say when faced with a challenge; “Only two things stopping me from doing that, fear and common sense” I must be short on both! 

I'm still destroying the B-17

I should probably stop posting pics as they're all going to be just stuff like this;

grinding out the back side to a more "scale" thickness.

L56EM4z.jpg

the sheet plastic on the wing root is the only real correction I've needed to do that would possibly be visible with the impending large hole in the upper fuselage, it's otherwise a great kit!...if you don't grind big holes in it all over the place!

fujHoul.jpg

Using the "spatter water" flack damage method I've marked out the areas for thinning and holes;

CyTAj1z.jpg

the result

wPoKhMF.jpg

kJqTzPn.jpg

Thanks for looking

Thanks guys!

I sure hope I can do this thing justice!!

I've added some structure inside the wing, in the visible areas only. I notice I forgot to take pictures of the inside of the other wing...oh well.

The structure has, since these pics. been painted aluminum and the wing at this point is nearly ready to close up. 

VyzglE9.jpg

Edited by chrish

You are going where the rest of us fear to tread. Thanks for holding up that light ahead of us and showing the way. Are any of us brave enough to follow?

Really amazing work. I love the technique to determine random locations. Nothing is regular in reality, all of nature is fractal, even when someone tries to shoot in a straight line at a target.

Tnarg