NLLSP- No Longer a Large Scary Project- finished

chrish

Thanks!

It's definitely starting to look like a shot up B-17

it was/ is still a bit daunting cutting/ damaging up such a big imposing model!

I've gotten the left stabilizer assembly finished, primed with Vallejo aluminum, chipping medium and masking will do for the bullet holes and flack I think

bjiIStq.jpg

SHI1MzU.jpg

temporarily put in place to get an idea of the effect

gGdPKcC.jpg

Thanks for looking

33 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, the battle damage looks great!    To my eye however, the tear/break of the elevator seems a bit too clean. Maybe tear/roughen up the edges a bit somehow?

I think this comes from the fact you have a straight line (almost like along a panel line) in the damage.  I would imagine such damage would have a more random feel to it (just like the excelent shrapnell damage).  Perhaps you can reduce this visual impact by irregular adding torn away edges where you have now a clean cut?

Agreed, thanks for the advice. I sometimes grt too close to the work and cannot see the forest for the trees...

I've gone with the good advise and using an R.B Products riveting wheel to make "tear along lines" I marked some .003" printing press tin and then scribed a line in it and tore it off, some PVA glue to attach it (I can put some Mr Surfacer on the seam later) I think it looks a little more prototypical now...

or at least getting there.

VzWE6ss.jpg

Sh2mKgT.jpg

Edited by chrish

I am so glad that youve taken on this daring project.  I thought of doing the same thing in 1/48 after I read the book but I think it will have a much better impact in 1/32 because of the figures.  It looks like youre off to a great start, I love the battle damage and exposed internal parts.  Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's always helpful!!

I've used what I learned from the broken off horizontal stabilizer and put a little more and different work in on the rudder. Through images (and help from others) I've made up the internal structure and will add shredded "fabric" on the frames (flapping in the wind) from foil...eventually.

JgIpoAs.jpg

xo5EZl9.jpg

UihNYji.jpg

hxrE4c6.jpg

So major disappointment has set in. the upper turtle deck I had been planning on, basically destroying is over 1/10 of an inch thick! with the internal stringers and ribs it's even thicker! With nowhere to hide my Dremel grinding damage, like between ribs and stringers in the nose.

I tried forming a piece of .003" tin over it but the compound curves defeated me, even using multiple pieces. I looked at plunge or vac. forming a copy over it but I'd lose all the rivet and panel line continuity, another idea is to mold and cast the very rear section with the top windows and cast it thinner than the kit part...thinner means a visible difference that can and will be noticeable through the open damage area. I could drill bullet holes into the deck but that's not the effect I'm looking for...

Decision made, I'll assemble as is but leave out the top glazings as if lost to gunfire or flack, I can still have the defensive gun hanging by the supports and unmanned.

I'll leave it a while and see what inspiration if any hits.

meantime, tinfoil under way as a stand-in for shredded canvas skin, flapping in the wind.

x3DFIKz.jpg

The thickness of the upper deck measured with my thickness proportional caliper

XkTidAA.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thank you very much!

I have taken a few minutes to find the C/G of the model. Actually I'm wrong, I used a previous build G model (now covered in dust on my shelf) "Idaliza" to find the C/G, then I poked a hole in the belly of this beast and super glued a 8-32 nut to the floor of the radio room and threaded a rod to go into it. I was originally (at one time long ago) going to use the bomb bay wall mount assembly to mount the model but it was a few inches away from the C/G. I may have to reinforce the mount as the model is still fairly heavy (even with pieces missing) but the weight should bear down squarely on the shaft and into the planned base I'll be making.

While playing around I figured I'd take a minute to mock it all up.

The rod will eventually be cut and threaded at each end

VhZ6JNv.jpg

the big bird, showing her lines

VYvzfK8.jpg