Sign in to follow this  
thierry laurent

Driving in my wonderful country... NSFW!

Living in Austria i know the tax problem first hand, even if its not as bad as in Belgium i think. Cant complain about public transportation here, i use the train to get to work every day, we b!tch if its late for 5 minutes once a month. greater Vienna has one of the best systems in the world, you can even use the subway as a female at night without getting raped. looking at taxes/social security, these take about 35% of my income, but its worth it. not perfect, but a working system.

Edited by blackbetty

Just to put things straigth: I'm not used to moan on LSP or anywhere else on the web and this was not my goal. That is also why I wrote I cannot personally complain that much as I explained. So, do not jump blindly to conclusions. 

Typically, most citizens are paying few or a lot of taxes and are gladly or reluctantly accepting it according to the quality or rather their perception of the quality of the public services they get. This varies a lot over the world. My country built the most complex administrative system you can imagine. I can testify as I've been a university researcher in that area many years ago. So I do not think I'm in the wrong seat to have a standpoint about that. Don't get me wrong, this situation has also very positive aspects: we kept a quite rich and peaceful country in spite of our ongoing internal conflicts and helped to solve many critical problems in the world because of our capability to create compromises in the most complex situations. This does not prevent the administrative situation is now not understandable anymore for most inhabitants and when saw from the other side of the world, we can only look as Martians! This is that last point I wanted to illustrate and more particularly to show to people who moan about their country how relative that problem can be. Just have a look at the last words of my initial post. I did my best to present that in a civil way but if anyone is offended by that, I have no problem to lock the thread. 

It’s all fine Thierry and actually very interesting as Pete has said. I guess most of us are proud to a greater or lesser extent of our own countries but we all have our “feet of clay” moments mostly caused by those in power.......

Edited by LSP_Mike
No politics. None