Airfix New 1/24 Releases

Grizly

I see that Cybermodeler is now listing 'new' Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.1a (kit 12001V) and Bf-109E (kit 12002V) kits to be released 2Q20. My quick search of the Airfix website shows what might be a re-issue of the Hurricane but can see no reference of the Spit or 109. Can anybody shed any light on these kits?

They are probably just placeholders, but the artworks used for these kit reissue announcements are all the original Roy Cross illustrations.

Takes me back to my youth when my Dad built the original 1/24 Spitfire in the early 70s.

#nostalgia

Scalemates has these "new" 2020 kit releases listed as "reboxes" and not new toolings.

On a more positive note, it does look like they are re-releasing the old 1/12 Bentley.  I have the two recent Italeri releases of the older Pocher Fiat kits in the stash and that Bentley is calling my name.

That Bentley can join the recent 1/12 Italeri Alfa - excellent!

Pity the Spitfire and 109 are re-issues and not new tools, but hopefully this stimulates some after market goodies!

I note Model Monkey are intending to produce some items for the Spitfire. Some spars for the wings would also be helpful.

Can't wait, happy days! :) 

Edited by Pete Roberts

From what I've read elsewhere it looks like many of their 1/35 armour subjects are re-pops from other company(s).

As Grizly points out, the 1/24 scale Hurricane Merlin is a better option for their Spitfire - perhaps Airfix will consider releasing this too, as a stand alone kit? The engine that is, not the Hurricane. :) 

Nice build there, by the way!

Edited by Pete Roberts

Maybe that is why I hadn't heard about them. But, Cromwells? Only company I know of that has done Cromwells is Tamiya, and these say new tool on them. I have the Tamiya kits, will have to check some AFV sites to check out Airfix'es versions.

Although old the Spit still has a very good outline, it does need some upgrading regarding the wheel wells and the canopy. I think Airscale does provide an instrument panel. And don't forget to build in the dihedral in the wings otherwise it's a bit flat. I always enjoyed the PSL books on how to build the Airfix 1/24 kits (and a few other ones such as the 1/48 Lanc en B-17 and 1/32 Revell Mossie).

It's a very good basis for some scratchbuilding. I once did the entire interior and learned a lot about the Spitfire in the process.
Cees