Attaching Trumpy wings to Hasegawa Hellcat

williamj

14 hours ago, D Bellis said:

The 'why' has to do with Hasegawa's wings looking like they're made of plywood sheets with irrigation ditches between them, and the Trumpeter fuselage looking like a clown's balloon toy sporting a 1/24 scale canopy. 

The Trumpy fuse looks like the pilot closed the canopy and had a massive fart. Check out my own stalled build from years ago and see how I dealt with the wings. Were I to do it over, I'd do the hybrid approach too.

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Coooool!  Any hints/tips on the best way to accomplish that?   WIP pics maybe?

TIA!

Most of the photos in the Britmodeller  WIP thread have been deleted. I have them somewhere on my external hard drive. I'll try and find them and upload a few, though it might take a day or two.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:24 AM, BiggTim said:

Honestly,  I just gave up and built the Hasegawa kit. Lot of re-scribing on the wings, but I still think it was less work than a wing swap. Good luck to you!

My view exactly as I wade through the build. Filling, rescribing and riveting the wings does not take that long - 2 hours max. You will damage a lot of surface detail fitting the Trumpy wings 

5 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

After perusing the kit, I think the best way to get an accurate Hellcat is to buy the Airfix 1/24th scale kit!

I will respectfully disagree..I believe we can make something out of the Hasegawa kit with a few mods.I did think about the Airfix but not really my scale and don't have the display room in the case.As nice as it obviously is, also there's the issue with having spent a ton, over time, on goodies to accentuate the Has.kit.

Will post some progress pics once the engineering challenges are dealt with.

cheers.Bill.

17 hours ago, williamj said:

I will respectfully disagree..I believe we can make something out of the Hasegawa kit with a few mods.I did think about the Airfix but not really my scale and don't have the display room in the case.As nice as it obviously is, also there's the issue with having spent a ton, over time, on goodies to accentuate the Has.kit.

Will post some progress pics once the engineering challenges are dealt with.

cheers.Bill.

Oh, there is no doubt you can make the Hasegawa kit into a beautiful model and I think you in particular could do a great job of it. It is just the amount of AM it would take, and maybe a Trumpy kit to steal wings from, the cost is getting close to, if not more, than an Airfix kit. Also, since you can fold the wings on the Airfix kit, the display area isn't that bad.

Having said that, I understand many wish to stick to one scale, and in your case since you have already acquired AM, kit, et al it makes more sense to stick with what you got. I just thought in the search for a nice Hellcat, the Airfix kit should be considered. And unlike Jennings, I don't think the oilcanning (not wrinkling) is badly done.

Thanks Ray..ya we have a bucket of AM for the Has. and the trumpeter wings can be folded (have PE to highlight that) they also have the correct wheel wells,engine, and landing gear that is way above what Has. offered....why Trumpeter blew the fuselage is an absolute mystery,it really is bad and won't hesitate to say it.

Comes down to a simple matter of choice,and we we have so much 32nd in the hobby today that sometimes the choices are underappreciated .I have been on an "Old School" theme lately and these Hellcat builds are just part of that. Personally think the Hasegawa has the most potential,for my own eye of course.  

Respectfully..Bill.