Attaching Trumpy wings to Hasegawa Hellcat

williamj

2 minutes ago, williamj said:

Have a couple of Has. Hellcats on the go and was wondering if anyone has a link or pics as to the 

easiest way to attach the Trumpeter wings to the better shaped Hasegawa fuselage?? 

Thanks guys,Bill.

I have both kits in my stash too Bill, and this has always been my plan for a "Trumpegawa"  F6F. Although I have to admit, I dont have any idea exactly how Id do it...............Id be curious for any known steps to do this myself.

I don't remember if the Trumpy wings have the center lower fuselage attached to the wing center section like the Hase kit does, but in any case you'll need to retain the Hase fuselage center section, and attach the Trumpy wings with a carry-through spar, much like the real aircraft does.

Hope this helps!

Guys, can't recall the "wing-issue" on attaching the trump wing to the Has-fuselage: was it a matter of over-riveting, or too less recessed lines on behalf of the Hasegawa wing, that brougt up the idea of joining these two together or what?

HTH

Jack

23 minutes ago, Jack said:

Guys, can't recall the "wing-issue" on attaching the trump wing to the Has-fuselage: was it a matter of over-riveting, or too less recessed lines on behalf of the Hasegawa wing, that brougt up the idea of joining these two together or what?

HTH

Jack

Hey Jack...the Trumpeter fus.is too fat aft of the fire wall..you can't miss it.    So some have been mating the Trumpeter wings which are good (especially the wheel wells)

Even the engine is much better..but the rest you can keep.

Below was my attempt - the announcement of the Airfix 1/24 kinda took the wind outta my sails though

Ha - disregard - I don't know what I was thinking - I did not use the Hasegawa fuselage - I was just trying to correct the Trumpeter kit :doh:

But, that said, after narrowing the Trump fuselage I fit a "spreader bar" of heavy sprue-rod inside the fuselage at the wing-root to force it just wide enough so that the wings still fit without major putty work - that may be the way to go for fitting the Trumpeter wing to the Hase fuse....

Edited by petrov27

DougN was the guy on LSP that did it a while back. 

The 'why' has to do with Hasegawa's wings looking like they're made of plywood sheets with irrigation ditches between them, and the Trumpeter fuselage looking like a clown's balloon toy sporting a 1/24 scale canopy. 

HTH?

D