Needle in Haystack - non-NMF P-47N?

Is anyone aware of a P-47N (or F-47N) in any finish that was not natural metal? I've been looking around for a while and coming up with nothing for US schemes. 

I know multiple air forces operated T-bolts in the decades after the war, and RoC/Taiwan had the -N model, but in NMF. I have not been able to determine if anyone else had that variant but I'm guessing if anyone operated a painted -N, it was a foreign force.

Thanks for any info that you guys can provide!

Mike

7 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I saw this one:

8616029252_aa977ebf34_b.jpg

2383_large.jpg?v=1519826644

Though, I admit I've done nothing more thank click on a photo of it, without verifying it's bona fides.

That's probably the only way you're going to find a non-NMF "N" model; a warbird.  I believe that one was operated by the Confederate Air Force?  The image of the right side shows text under the stab; the last line looks like an "N" number but I can't make out what it reads.

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I saw this one:

8616029252_aa977ebf34_b.jpg

2383_large.jpg?v=1519826644

Though, I admit I've done nothing more thank click on a photo of it, without verifying it's bona fides.

54 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

That's probably the only way you're going to find a non-NMF "N" model; a warbird.  I believe that one was operated by the Confederate Air Force?  The image of the right side shows text under the stab; the last line looks like an "N" number but I can't make out what it reads.

ITs N47TB, 1946 Republic P-47N-20-RE, C/N: 44-89136    

N47TB was restored to NFM:

999789.jpg

According to the Warbird Registry, this P47N S/N 45-53436 has been part of the Commemorative Air Force since 1962, most recently registered as N47TB “Meat Chopper”. The original “Meat Chopper” served with the 464th FS/507th FG in 1945 based on Ie Shima in the Pacific theater.

Interesting history of this bird in Guatemala and Nicaragua:

http://warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/thunderbolt-survivors-latin-american-story.html

6 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Am  correctly remembering the two blues scheme above was used on some P-47M's in Europe?

Just now, seiran01 said:

Far as I know, that's correct Ray; the -N was painted in that scheme as an airshow warbird only

Surly was, M only as Mike mentioned......................

P-47_Thunderbolt_Marion_of_the_56th_Figh

On 1/12/2020 at 3:32 PM, seiran01 said:

Is anyone aware of a P-47N (or F-47N) in any finish that was not natural metal? I've been looking around for a while and coming up with nothing for US schemes. 

I know multiple air forces operated T-bolts in the decades after the war, and RoC/Taiwan had the -N model, but in NMF. I have not been able to determine if anyone else had that variant but I'm guessing if anyone operated a painted -N, it was a foreign force.

Thanks for any info that you guys can provide!

Mike

I was born in Guatemala and I am quite familiar with its history.

When I was in college I did a paper about the involvement of the CIA in the 1954 coup to get rid off the Guatemalan president Jacobo Arbenz Guzman, accused you be a communist.

The CIA backed a group of ultra right anti government group, led by an Army Officer, Col. Carlos Castillo Armas. 
Part of the assistance included Four P-47N, and Two P-51, all nicknamed “Sulfato” (Magnesium Sulfate was used as a laxative), because literally scared the crap out of the civilian population. 
The planes were based in Honduras and Nicaragua.

The aircraft were painted with a very light grey color, just before shipment to Honduras with absolutely no markings.

Later, after the coup and with Col. Castillo Armas as president, markings were added to the remaining P-47 and Two P51s.

The first two pictures are from the revolution, the third is after.CVrFupT.jpg

This one shows the “Volcán de Agua” (Water Volcano) in the background.

NY0o34O.jpg

favET1T.jpg

Enjoy.

22 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks, Brian.  I'd almost be willing to build that one in the two-tone blue.  

ITs N47TB, 1946 Republic P-47N-20-RE, C/N: 44-89136    

N47TB was restored to NFM:

999789.jpg

According to the Warbird Registry, this P47N S/N 45-53436 has been part of the Commemorative Air Force since 1962, most recently registered as N47TB “Meat Chopper”. The original “Meat Chopper” served with the 464th FS/507th FG in 1945 based on Ie Shima in the Pacific theater.

Interesting history of this bird in Guatemala and Nicaragua:

http://warbirdsnews.com/aircraft-restoration/thunderbolt-survivors-latin-american-story.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 3:10 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Surly was, M only as Mike mentioned......................

P-47_Thunderbolt_Marion_of_the_56th_Figh

The colors in that photo are grey and green, not the two tone blue.  The 56th group squadron colors used on the P-47M are:  

61st - black upper surfaces (Sqd code HV)

62nd - grey and green upper surfaces (sqd code LM)

63rd - two tone blue, reportedly French blue and azure blue but either may have been lightened or darkened (sqd code UN)

all over natural metal under surfaces and wing/stabilizer leading edges.

As a point of note, the 56th fighter group was the only unit to operate the P-47M and was never issued the P-47N.  The N, was designed for operation in the Pacific.  

As for whether there are any painted N models, I think that Central/South American air forces are your best bet.

Edited by Juggernut