Aerotech Gloster IV FINISHED

ericg

I picked this kit up from a very good friend of mine at a great price the other day and it got the better of me and had to be built! I have the Aerotech MC 72 almost ready for primer but have sidelined it again because I need to rework the wings. I need a civil aircraft build for the shows that I attend throughout the year and thought this would fit the bill nicely.

The sturdy box. Not much in the way of artwork, the artwork is inside the box!

IMG_1982-X5.jpg

Full of white metal, resin and photo etch.

IMG_1983-4K.jpg

Fairly basic but perfectly adequate instructions, colour chart and certificate (a nice touch)

IMG_1985-X5.jpg

A quick paw through the parts. These are very basic kits but make for stunning replicas once finished provided that a bit of extra tweaking is carried out. This kit seems to be a little smoother than previous releases. 

IMG_1986-4K.jpg

I primed the interior with Tamiya fine surface primer, and then sprayed SMS Primer Surfacer to allow for a bit of sanding to smooth out the cockpit a bit.

IMG_2011-X5.jpg

I sprayed the cockpit with SMS Pilbara, and used a dark wash around the details. Not much if this is going to be seen so I haven’t spent too much time detailing it.

IMG_2033-X5.jpg

The wings of this kit are very thin and I have a couple of resin kits built in the past that have had the wings start to droop in my display cabinet. I don’t trust any kit to not do the same thing so I now insert brass rod into everything. The following method works well. It is not for the faint of heart, especially on an almost $300AUD kit. I have done this to all 4 parts of the wings, and took pics of different wings during the process.

I use the other end of an appropriately sized drill bit to cut a deep trench into the resin, down along a straight edge ruler.

IMG_2017-X5.jpg

IMG_2038-X5.jpg

I embed brass rod into the wing, glued in place with superglue and the resulting top of the trench is filled with a superglue/talc mix and sanded smooth.

IMG_2040-X2.jpg

A check coat of SMS Primer Surfacer  which is then sanded smooth. Most of the area of each wing is covered by photo etch surface radiators, so the worked area will be covered.

IMG_2035-X5.jpg

I made the rod pass through the major join in the top wings to give this area a lot more strength.

IMG_2043-X5.jpg

I drilled and inserted rod into the horizontal stabilisers.  Not quite as drastic a measure this time. The rod has extends as far into the part as the drill bit shows, and has been positioned through the tab to give the join some strength as well.

IMG_2010-X5.jpg

All major parts complete. The floats and struts have been dry fitted. The refinement can now begin.

IMG_2042-X5.jpg

Edited by ericg

Great start Eric! I love that Aerotech make these Schneider kits in 1/32, I just wish they were a little more affordable. The type of the resin they use is really good to work with.

The wings on this one certainly look to have a more refined, in scale thickness than on their Supermarine S5. 

Looking forward to seeing this one in it’s Gold and Pale Blue livery although I have to admit I’ve seen a few interpretations of this scheme with more blue on the cowling, wings and floats than in the painting guide provided. I know Aerotech put a lot of effort on that front so could well be that different liveries were used at different times. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that it was painted gold all over at one point - but then again that might be a total mis-remembering by my fuzzy brain.

Torben

Thanks very much for the comments guys, appreciated.

The area where the fuselage meets the tail was a bit too sharp for my liking, comparing it to photos showed a more gradual bend.

IMG_2058-X5.jpg

i squared off the area concerned

IMG_2059-X4.jpg

Glued a lump of resin in its place

IMG_2061-X5.jpg

The new shape. Much better.

IMG_2190-X5.jpg

The prop was next on the radar to be fixed. Whilst resin is a great material to model in, I find that some areas will warp over time so I avoid that by stiffening them up. The prop was a bit curly, whether that was the way the master has been made or whether it is slightly warped.

IMG_2062-X5.jpg

IMG_2063-X5.jpg

I bent each blade out of the way and drilled through its root, into the spinner,

IMG_2064-X5.jpg

I then cut a trench into the back of each blade, meeting up with the hole that I had just drilled.

IMG_2065-X5.jpg

I cut brass rod that fit into the hole and the trench, which was then superglued into place. The blades were then straightened before I filled  the holes.

IMG_2187-X5.jpg

Straight as a die.

IMG_2186-X5.jpg

Sprayed with SMS primer filler and sanded.

IMG_2188-X5.jpg

• 4 months later...

Moving along with this build.

I had originally planned to have this one ready for the Australian Model Expo on the 6-8th of June for entry into the Civil aircraft non-airliner category. Unfortunately this event was cancelled a couple of months ago so it was put aside whilst I concentrated on other builds. With a few models now completed in this time, I have been looking at all of my older unfinished stuff and trying to get lots of builds finished that require not much work to get them done. 

I built up the beaching trolley with its spoked wheels and attached all of the photo etched panels, as well as the brass cooling lines down the sides of the fuselage and the exhaust ports. I just need to work out the cooling panel under the nose, which is provided as a photo etch part but those don’t work too well in these kits.

Each panel has been glued into position using 5 minute epoxy.

IMG_2350-X5.jpg

IMG_3798-X4.jpg

Edited by ericg