Silhouette portrait problem.

ade rowlands

Now, I admit I haven't used the Portrait in months during my foray in to 1/48 I didn't really need it. Now I fired it up again this morning for some refamiliaritsation with it. Also needed to restock my stash of cut out circles for masking things like instrument dials and whatnot. Now when it comes to the cutting I'm using standard sheets of Tamiya Masking Paper. The circles themselves cut fine and don't penetrate the backing paper but the weed lines I'm using between each circle cuts right through to the mat but not into the mat itself (mat is still quite scarred from my first attempts before learning to restrict blade depth and force, oops). I'm using Blade depth 1, Speed 2 and Force 2 as my standard settings. It's like once the circles are cut on my settings it then goes back to cut the weed lines at a higher setting. Any help appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

How many passes are you doing Ade?  Your settings sound fine.

Max, all done in one pass. However on my next attempt I tried something else. All setting s the same but before sending it to the cutter instead of using what's termed the Simple setting in the option bar I went across to the next one called Line. This did the trick as I could apply my standard saved presets for Tamiya Tape to the weed line cutting. It seems under the simple setting once the main job is cut it reverts to Silhouettes presets for cutting the weed lines. All sorted now until the next hurdle. I really do think we should have a pinned thread on Silhouette issues and fixes somewhere here. 

13 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

I really do think we should have a pinned thread on Silhouette issues and fixes somewhere here. 

Gets my vote. I am looking into buying a Silhouette Cameo 3 (after advice from Max) so a tips and hints thread would be most welcome

Edited by AlanG

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Strange that, cutting different depths for items/cuts in relation to each other

Indeed, its like the software didn't relate the 2 tasks as part of the same job. All sorted now though. All this after the software telling me the cutting mat was to big for the plotter every time I tried to start it. The same 8 x 12 one they supplied and has been used countless times. A simple fix though, software update solved that.