Corsair upgrades ?

spacewolf

For my -1D build, I went with the following:

Barracuda cockpit stencils.  A hundred or so tiny decals but they make a huge improvement. 

Barracuda resin wheels.  Much better than the crappy kit ones.  

Vector open cowl flaps.  Not mandatory but I like seeing a bit of the engine from behind and they are really well detailed.  

Aftermarket harness.   I think I used Eduard’s.  The kit stainless steel one leaves a bit to be desired.  

Aftermarket decals.   I went with Fundekals, they were awesome.   Plenty of options for your version out there.  

Good luck.  

Vaughan, you may also want to get the Barracuda magneto set as you're building a Birdcage Corsair. The kit ones are for later models. 

Eduard make a full resin engine and cockpit if you're so inclined but I think the kit ones are just fine. Add the Barracuda cockpit placards John1 mentions and it'll look pretty awesome. 

Carl

Be careful with the Eduard Cockpit.  I don't think it is really accurate for a -1.  The rear has been altered to fit a Tamiya dash-1 but most of the cockpit looks more like a -1A or -1D.  

The main thing to do to the pit is the Barracuda placard decal set and seat belts.  Otherwise you can busy it up some with some lines, hoses and wires down in the bottom.  You don't really need much A.M. in there.  Those couplet placards really bring it to life and Rory's set is comprehensive.  

I have not started mine yet but I picked up the Eduard Brassin cockpit before I really looked at the kit parts. I wish I didn't bother getting it and may not use it. Like others have said the cockpit placards and fabric seatbelts is about all the cockpit needs. I also got Barricuda resin wheels and aftermarket decals because I want to do Pappy Boyington's plane. Mine is the F4U-1A. It's an absolutely beautiful looking kit and I can't wait to start it.