europapete

OK, at the risk of being banned.....

12 hours ago, John1 said:

Also Finescale Modeler has a decent online forum.  

Good for beginners.

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Techniques

for techniques, I cannot recommend the Facebook group Scale Modellers Critique Group highly enough

Hi Nick, do you mean "The Official Scale Modellers Critique Group" ?  The old "Scale Modellers Critique Group"

was the most clique-ish, rude, uninformative, immature FB group I ever joined (temporarily) run by a know-it-all jerk.

I heard he closed it down so you must be talking about a new one.  ???

8 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

LSP has been a wonderful resource for me. The members are knowledgeable and have no problem sharing.  I agree finding other similar sites is not easy.  

Someday it it would be great to see LAP do a spin off site for the smaller scales. 

Paul C 

Little Airplane Projects?

Armorama!!! yes, of course! totally forgot about that one. Thank you. Yes, I do the ocasional armour/vehicle subject. All WW1 stuff. I have the Tommy's War Crossley Tender, Aviattic Trailer and Marine Truck, and various WW1 tanks in the stash. The Roden Tractor and field guns, Liberty truck, Mini Arts Bus and truck version and some Ford T's are on the "to get" list. I do visit Landships once in a while.

Edited by europapete
spelling

Talking of wee stuff, I am sat on the couch watching Brit comedy night on RI PBS and fondling stash plastic. For the last few months I have been building a 1/200 HMS Hood (almost 52" long), and a couple of WNW's kits, (DH2, LVG). So, tonight I pull out the Monogram 1/48 ME 410, Airfix Spit FR46, and the Monogram SB2C.  It's been a while since I have opened these boxes, and........GOOD GRIEF!!!!! THESE KITS ARE TINY!!!! LOLOLOL! is it just me or do we really get acustomed to large scale? 

5 hours ago, europapete said:

FYI, I should say that RI is Rhode Island in the US, just south of Boston. I am a transplant, Yorkshireman by birth. 

I did wonder, thought it was Republic of Indonesia! :P

Me, I go between LSP, ARC  and Modeler's Alliance. MA is pretty cool seeing they have campaign ribbons for builds pertaining to the current campaign going on.

I like it!

Tim

I agree with the comments submitted here, Another site to consider, and i do mean consider is not so much a forum but a subscription site which includes a forum, is Florymodels.co.uk. 

Whilst it can be a little cliquey it does cover all subjects and all of the popular scales.

i find myself gluing my fingers together with some of the video builds running in the background on my iPad. 

On 1/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Mark P said:

I try and avoid Modeling Madness, the continual praise of SAC landing gear (we all know otherwise) has me questioning that site.

Mark Proulx

My daily modeling “circuit” consists of LSP, ARC (which seems to be dying a slow death) and HS.  Say what you want about HS’s forum structure (has way too many ads) but there is some pretty good content in those forums.  

As time permits on weekends, I’ll hit Armorama, Missing Lynx (which also seems to be dying off) and Britmodeller.   

Edited by John1

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Mention of subscription sites leads me to suggest a look at this one: https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/

All sorts of content, and all of it quality.

Indeed, Geoff Coughlin had the vision 10 years ago to start his online magazine (I was an early recruit contributor/writer) and he's deservedly gone from strength to strength.  I'm writing a "Build Now" article for SMN at the moment for the ICM Gladiator.

FYI, I have have checked out and even participated in most of the forums mentioned above, but I much prefer LSP for the following reasons, many of which are unique to LSP.

1)  As the title says, this site focuses entirely on large scale aircraft, which is my only interest.  Small 1/72 aircraft are of no interest to me, although a big 1/48 scale bomber, etc. is (but I won't go there :rolleyes:)

2)  The skill level here is very high, so I learn many new things from others, just about every day.

3)  Forum members generally behave themselves and if they don't, the Mod's are on them like flies, so things never get out of hand for too long.

4)  As a result of the above, forum members are generally really good people with similar interests.  Bullies and other obnoxious types will have no fun here, so they leave.

5)  Ads and other commercial necessities of a free internet site are minimal and the ones that are here are focused on modeling, not dating sites and other crap found In other free forums.

6)  New products can generally be found here first, long before other sites.

7)  Product reviews are honest, objective and not contrived to support a sponsor, just because they are a sponsor.

8)  Volume is huge!  If you get bored with the main page of the Works In Progress Forum, just wait half a day, because it will turnover quickly.

That's about it, which is way more than enough for me.

Cheers,

Chuck