europapete

OK, at the risk of being banned.....

What other readable and competant modelling forums are out there? I know and have bookmarked Hyperscale, ( but only look at their "what's new" headlines, as the actual forums are too heavily plastered with adverts to make any sense of them), Britmodeller, ( excellent), the WW1 forum from Aus, again, VERY GOOD, Modelwarships VERY GOOD, ARC is good, but trends towards modern jets whereas my main interest is WW1 and ships. ( with a few StarWars and Dinosaurs thown in lol), So, any other recomendations?  And please, none that are plagued with adverts. Regards, Pete in RI No facebook either. 

Edited by europapete

I have all but abandoned Hyperscale and Missing Lynx since they moved to Tapatalk.  I'll admit that they were in dire need of a software update, but the amount of ads slammed into both forums is unbearable.  You hit all the others pretty well.  https://reddit.com/r/modelmakers is pretty good, but tends to lean towards the beginner end of the spectrum.  That said, there are over 150k subscribers, so it's worth watching as some really interesting stuff pops up from time to time.

I've been on https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/ since 2009 and there are some very accomplished builders in there..

Before joining them I used to paint my canopies blue so I didn't have to build cockpits.

I go by the same N number in there. It's a very active forum. GB's every 4 months and we are on number 44.

A few guys build nothing but 1/32nd. I've had a 1/32nd Merlins Magic going for a few years, #22 at Reno.

I got caught up in GB's and concentrate on Davidson piloted AC from all eras.

Check it out!

Bill (Davidson)

I used to like Britmodeller but it is SO heavily biased towards toys, sorry, towards 1/72 scale, that I find it quite frustrating at times. There are however some very knowledgeable (and sometimes opinionated) aviation experts there. Home is where the heart is! ❤️

1 hour ago, mozart said:

I've found that there are three rules when it comes to Britmodeller...

- If it's not 1/72, it's not real modelling

- Airfix make the best kits ever bar none

- The 'Inner Circle' (i.e. the opinionated clique) must never be questioned or doubted

Which is why I no longer frequent the place.

Edited by vince14

35 minutes ago, AlanG said:

I am registered on Britmodeller but i only use it for reference as i find it very clique type place

29 minutes ago, vince14 said:

I've found that there are three rules when it comes to Britmodeller...

- If it's not 1/72, it's not real modelling

- Airfix make the best kits ever bar none

- The 'Inner Circle' (i.e. the opinionated clique) must never be questioned or doubted

Which is why I no longer frequent the place.

Agree 100%, there’s an awful lot of pretentiousness there too. 

I visit several forums daily but LSP is my main "home", as my main interests are confined to WW2 a lot of forums do not interest me, plus I'm mainly interested in RAF/FAA subjects so Lufwaffe stuff does not interest me apart from when I want to do a quick and dirty build. For some reason Italian, French (pre armistice) and Japanese subjects interest me a lot more than US/USN subjects though early war subjects in the US/USN category do take my fancy.

I find a lot of useful info on Britmodeller, I also visit HS and find some useful info on there occasionally, ARC is too modern for me but I do pop in now and again, I also visit LSM but it is very quiet over there.

I also pop into, Aviation of Japan, Stormo and Soviet Warplanes these though are for specific information on builds.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

I find all of the above compare and contrast constructive and useful.

Hype-scale is we all have to remember is Brett Green’s business.  Britmodeler has too too many sub-forums. I get worn out sifting and “panning” for nuggets.

I am going to work harder and post more content this year on this site.  Content is what new all looking for and are talking about

Rick