An oldie, but hopefully, a goody. Revells 1/32 AH-64.

Stokey Pete

Now that the Tornado has been sent to the display shelves, I'm going in a different direction (for me anyway). I very rarely build helicopters, 2 Lynx built in 10 years, so I thought I'd give them some rotary winged company in the form of the above mentioned. 

To supplement the meagre part count in the box, I've added FlightPaths detail set which comes with a bunch of PE frets to augment the airframe details, and resin cast Hellfire missiles.

I know next to nothing about the ins and out of this aircraft, so I can safely say that aside from the Flightpath stuff, this is being built from the box. I imagine that it's nowhere near an accurate representation of the type, nor do I desire to try and make it so. I simply wish to build the best looking version of what's in the box that I can. 

To that end, my main focus will be on the paint finish and heavy weathering associated with early years Desert Storm operational era.

As I like to try and do with all my models, I intend to start with the weapons, I find I lose the mojo to finish a build off if I don't get them done before building the aircraft. 

Strap in, it's likely to be a bumpy ride with this fantastic death dealing machine. 

Awesome. I had one of these as a kid, and always wanted to have another crack at it, all the while trying to detail it out.....I might have to track one down......but I will have to follow your build for now! Get after it!

THOR    :ph34r:

I believe that the Revell kit (as well as the 1/48 Monogram kit that it was scaled up from) is actually pretty accurate, but it represents a very early AH-64A (circa early-mid 80’s), so it lacks a lot of things added over the life of the aircraft.  Things missing include the wire strike protection, including the frame around the gun, the disco IR jammer, and defensive systems like sensors and chaff buckets.  The Flightpath set helps, but it seems like it’s a bit of a chore to build up, especially the IR jammer, and flat PE frame around the gun doesn’t look right.  Verlinden also made a detail set, Cobra Company made an update set, and Master Model makes a nice M230 gun with muzzle brake.

5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I believe that the Revell kit (as well as the 1/48 Monogram kit that it was scaled up from) is actually pretty accurate, but it represents a very early AH-64A (circa early-mid 80’s), so it lacks a lot of things added over the life of the aircraft.  Things missing include the wire strike protection, including the frame around the gun, the disco IR jammer, and defensive systems like sensors and chaff buckets.  The Flightpath set helps, but it seems like it’s a bit of a chore to build up, especially the IR jammer, and flat PE frame around the gun doesn’t look right.  Verlinden also made a detail set, Cobra Company made an update set, and Master Model makes a nice M230 gun with muzzle brake.

Thanks for the info' Dave. You are correct in your assessment of the Flightpath set, I've had a preliminary go with the Hellfires and found the finds to be tiny, and far too easy to bend while filing the cuts smooth. I've started, so I'll attempt to finish the set, cherry picking the better looking parts while omitting the more odd ones.

This one's gonna be more of a nostalgia build utilising what I have at hand. The last time I built one of these, I was 12-13 (I'm 44 now), it was barely painted interior, brush painted exterior, had those dreadful Sidewinders on, and generally looked awful. My mom has kept it all these years though and has it in her attic somewhere. I'm dying to compare the two. 

30 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

this should be good to follow.

:thumbsup:

I hope so, I'm not having much luck at the moment. We have a horrible sickness bug running through the household so bench time has been severely limited.

I've done little more that fix the rotors together, built the engine housing subassembly, and glued a few other side assembly bits together. There's no paint on anything yet, and the photo etch is a nightmare to work with. It so tiny and flimsy. The slightest attempt to file sharp edges results in bent parts. 

Here's where I am after a couple of tentative sessions. I'd forgot how poor the kit is in terms of its fit. Copious amounts of filler used, and much sanding done already, and to so few parts too. :BANGHEAD2:

49391338097_a0b430b3fe_b.jpg

Too add to the woes, the canopy is damn near split in two. With a huge crack that will run across the glass if I glue it back together. 

49358932007_28b0c4557e_b.jpg

My patience is being tested so early on. There's only 150 or so bits, how hard can it

be? :rofl:

Edited by Stokey Pete

A spare 3 hours worth of cutting, filing, cursing, and bonded fingertips. 

49400232197_d9e458a2a6_b.jpg

I dug into the flight path box to build the 'disco light'. I need to find a suitable material to fill in the gaps, but that ain't gonna happen today. My eyes have crossed over, and I'm a babbling wreck. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

12 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

A spare 3 hours worth of cutting, filing, cursing, and bonded fingertips. 

I dug into the flight path box to build the 'disco light'. I need to find a suitable material to fill in the gaps, but that ain't gonna happen today. My eyes have crossed over, and I'm a babbling wreck. 

Holy smoke, that canopy is bad, and that PE part looks tricky as all heck! You have your work cut out for you, sir!! 

Wow, that is a bad crack. If contacting Revell to get a replacement doesn't work, Might be able to glue it all back together and open up the "glass" with a mini chain drilling and careful filing, but not sure how much effort you want to put into a broken  piece like that.

3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that is a bad crack. If contacting Revell to get a replacement doesn't work, Might be able to glue it all back together and open up the "glass" with a mini chain drilling and careful filing, but not sure how much effort you want to put into a broken  piece like that.

I've considered taking that particular pane out, and replacing it with some acetate or similar. 

I'm going to spend some time with sanders/polishers, and compounds

to see how much I can minimise it. If it looks awful, I'll cut it out and replace it. 

Good start. I built this kit last Summer as a IAF Peten. I posted RFI pictures here. The Masters gun is a must. I had both the Flightpath and the Verlinden set but did not use all parts to retain my sanity. The flightpath set brings lots of nice details to the tail wheel and avionics in front. The main rotor blades would benefit from being curved at bit under boiling water as OOB they are straight and give you a strange look.

have fun.

David

Nice work , so far , but that;s a pity about the canopy, 

I have "fond" memories of building this one 20 or so  years ago, and I vividly recall filling in the disco light framework wit PVA. waiting 4 weeks for it to dry and then tinting it with Tamiya clear red.. simpleier days!

I do remember the U/C is a major PIA , well it was for me ! 

Oh and the Verlinden lock on book is a very decent reference - have fun!

14 hours ago, Scotsman said:

...and I vividly recall filling in the disco light framework wit PVA. waiting 4 weeks for it to dry and then tinting it with Tamiya clear red.. simpleier days!

Why didn't I think of a simple solution like that?

I was going to try and use some iridescent film which I imagine would a total hassle to get right.