1/35 Revell (MRC) OH-58D review and tweaks

thierry laurent

It looks the situation is more complicated. Some views of "Prime Chance" Kiowas show that additional instrument on the coaming but other pictures corresponding to "Desert Storm" era seem to show another box with a larger width... Unfortunately, finding detailed pictures of Kiowas of that era is REALLY difficult. This was the pre-digital camera era and we are considering operations that were totally or partly classified years after they occur. The probability we will ever get correct pictures of such modifications looks alas very low.

The two pictures combined hereunder clearly show a difference. I also found some images showing the boxes from the front of the helos but none of them is really good. And for sure, I did not have one picture showing the instrument face

TbEyhFI.jpg

Useless to say some guesswork is required from a modelling perspective...

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

I thought as well about a GPS but considered that the screen would be taller. 

I think the early units back in the Stone Age, didn’t have any kind of large map display, just a lat / long readout.    It was on the user to find his location on a map.  

One other noticeable remark: most IP updates I saw are incorrect! Modellers typically add plastic OVER the IP coaming whereas the airbag boxes were actually added in cutouts IN the coaming, just over the MFDs!

This is a quite understandable error as there are very few pictures showing the slots between the CABS boxes and the IP coaming edges. From the top, they stay in the shadow and are consequently not visible. Here is one that shows how this should look like:

vLQ7Eoh.jpg