Fw190F-8 - Revell 1/32

Just found the offending reference in Ullmann’s Luftwaffe colours 1935-45; on p175 he quotes HM Notice 7/42, which specifically mentions the 190, as saying,

”Parts... not exposed to the free airflow will not receive any kind of surface protection.”

He summarises the document thus,

“The statements in the above text are clear; interior painting of aircraft was already abandoned in 1942.  This means that materials, landing gear compartments, access flaps to the fuselage and so on, as for example on the FW 190, were no longer painted and the bare metal was left in its aluminium colour.”

I make no claims to expertise on this (or any other!) subject but it does appear that u/c bays were not to be painted and that the 190 was one of the first types to be so affected.  Ullmann has expanded on this in articles I have seen in magazines too and I have not seen any refuting of his claims, although obviously I have not read everything published on the subject, particularly if not in English.

Happy to be proven wrong as I have several 190s on the go and would like to get them right given how slow my build rate is.

Good progress but gosh that is the old Hasegawa kit I remember building one years ago and though it ended up looking good the fuselage to wing joints were a bit challenging, but maybe I had a "Friday afternoon" kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks guys! :)

Interesting info! Should be no greater problem repainting the bays in aluminium.

I finished detailing the engine with some bits of plastic rod.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_9.jpg

I then painted the engine in the suggested mix of black and steel. It looked to bright to my taste, and I did a black wash on some parts.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_4.jpg

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_5.jpg

I repainted some parts with a darker mix.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_6.jpg

Which I think looked much better.
It turned out that the "black" colour in the set, actually was a very dark metal.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_8.jpg

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_9.jpg

Perhaps I should have used that one instead, but I'll leave it as it is as it creates a bit of contrast.

The guns also got some metallic paint.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_7.jpg

Next I'll assemble the engine, and then I'll decide if I'll repaint the engine bay before mounting the engine.

Håkan

Nice work on this venerable kit!

Here are some thoughts about interior colors.

I have just watched a short clip on YouTube showing a captured Fw at the end of the war. The rear fuselage interior is bare metal but the tail wheel hatch and interior of the tail section are clearly painted. The wheel wells are not visible unfortunately.

So some interior sections were painted even in 1945. 

Why is that, when it contradics the document mentioned previously?

Well of course between instructions and reality there can be differences. One instance could be that damaged aircraft being refurbished could get painted or unpainted parts depending when those components were originally manufactured, even if those instructions were being strictly adhered to.

Different suppliers might also have painted sub components for some time until stocks of paint were exhausted leading to a varied finish of the interior.

I guess you can do pretty much as you please and frankly not be wrong in any way.

Alain

Interesting film, thanks for the link Alain.  Personally I can’t identify any colours or tell whether surfaces are painted or unpainted there though!  I’m not sure what material the dimpled surface on the inside of the access hatch on the vertical stab is but it doesn’t display the maker’s stamps seen on aluminium sheets; however if it is alumnium, they could be on the other side of it....

• 2 weeks later...

A few other builds had my stray away from this one a while! :)

Now I've finally mounted the engine and exhaust pipes into the fuselage.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_11.jpg

Not perfect fit, and perhaps I could have mounted the exhaust pipes before I mounted the engine, and also mounted the rear engine part to the brakets.

I then put the cover in place and glued the guns.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_12.jpg

My plan is to have the covers removable, and maybe even cut the lids open.

I've started planning how to best get the wings in place. The instructions says to glue the lower part first, insert gears and then glue the upper parts.

I've checked and it seems possible to insert the gear legs afterwards and I hope it works if I assemble the wing parts first before glueing them to the body.

Håkan