Fw190F-8 - Revell 1/32

I decided to go with this kit. It was bought 2nd hand so I have no box except the one it was sent in.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_start.jpg

I've started with the cockpit and pilot, and also cleaned up the fuselage halves.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_1.jpg

Next I'll paint the cockpit and decide if I'll use the pilot or not, but considering the lack of detail, I'll probably use him.

Håkan

I painted all the cockpit parts and the inside and top of fuselage in RLM 66.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_1.jpg

Then I painted the instruments and details black. Then I tried to pick out instrument details with a fine brush, but ended up dry brushing everything.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_2.jpg

Then the fuselage halves was glued. Pretty easy except for the front seam that I needed to hold together to set.
According to the instructions it should be possible to insert the cockpit from the underside.

Well it wasn't as easy to do as it looked, but after some fiddling it was in place, or at least I hope it sits where it should.

Of course the front seam opened up. Have to glue that later.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_2.jpg

fw190f-8_32nd_build_3.jpg

Now I need to sort the seams. Only problem is the raised rivets that will disappear when sanding the seams.

Should I just let it be? Try to recreate them, or remove all and do new ones with a riveter?

Old kit and I'm not sure I want to do all that work this time.

Have to think about it! :)

Håkan

I would suggest you keep it, just subdue the rivets and lines with fine sandpaper. Lost panel lines can be restored locally with a light mark with an X-acto. Weathering  at the end can be added to accent certain panels and areas according to references. 

This is a simple kit, keep work to basic skills otherwise I am afraid it could spiral off into too much work...

Just my opinion here!

Alain

Agreed, with what Alain said.

You’re doing good work here. Keep going!

I built one of these back....waaaay back the only problem I had was the wing to fuselage joint, if I remember correctly? Then chopped it up in a vignette of a destroyed and abandoned wreck...I do have pictures here somewhere.

Thank you Alain and Chris! :)

Yeah, better keep it simple and get it done. It's easy to get carried away in detailing and scratchbuilding.

I'll keep the wing to fuselage joint in mind, when I get to that point.

That's one way of sorting it! :)

Håkan

I started cleaning up the engine parts. Quite a bit of flash in some places.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_4.jpg

I think the engine looks pretty nice, and I'm considering adding some ignition cables and stuff.

Then perhaps I can have the covers off.

Just need to figure out how it should look. Have to google a bit! :)

For some reason I continued to clean up parts.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_5.jpg

Might as well have it done. Just a few more things to do, then I can start painting engine parts and all parts that need to be in RLM02.

Other parts to for that matter, but those I need first!

Håkan

A few wires added to the engine couldn't hurt, right? :)

fw190f-8_32nd_build_6.jpg

While that is setting, I painted some parts in RLM02.

fw190f-8_32nd_paint_3.jpg

Need to touch some spots a bit.

Lastly I assembled some bombs and pylons.

fw190f-8_32nd_build_7.jpg

Next I'll sort the other ends of the wires and paint the engine.

Håkan

I seem to recall reading something by Ullmann to the effect that the inner surfaces of late 190s (after around the -5) were unpainted aluminium to save time and materials.  Steel and wood surfaces were painted 02 as a corrosion/rot protection measure.  There were official orders to this effect and the approach was tested on a batch of 50 190s before being extended more widely.

Of course eventually the practice extended to some external surfaces too.