1/32 Tamiya P-51D-5 NA Mustang "Ferocious Frankie"

Antonio Argudo

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Antonio,

Exquisite work so far! Regarding the Terrell simulations, which I love having as a resource, weren’t the early seats more of a bucket design, while the later seats had more of a minimalist design? I’ve always been curious about this in his D-5 vs. D-30 simulations, which have them switched.

Cheers,  Tom

thanks Tom,  yes there were 2 type of seats used on the "D" model the Warren Mcarthur model  and the Schick  Johnson, I can quote  some explanation from John Terrell himself written in the Mustang SIG forum time ago:

The more I have looked at photos, the more it seems that the metal SJ seat only became prevalent, or at least more prevalent, in later D-models, past the D-15-NA era blocks. It seems that P-51D-5-NA's and D-10-NA's, if at least mostly, were fitted with WM seats. I don't recall seeing much, if any, photos showing WWII-era P-51B's or C's fitted with anything other than a WM seat, though a few of the P-51B/C's flying today are fitted with a metal SJ seat to the stock seat posts, while others have a WM seat (of which there are multiple types) installed to the stock seat posts.

You really start to see metal-SJ seats on P-51D-20-NA's, D-25-NA's, and D-30-NA's, though I believe you can also find WM seats mounted to these blocks as well. If I were to model a P-51D-5 to D-15, I'd be more inclined to model it with a WM seat, and if I were to model a P-51D-20 to D-30, I'd be more inclined to model it with a SJ seat (without looking at actual photos of the individual aircraft before starting).

and some reference pictures,

first the Warren Mcarthur seat

PICT0012-3.jpg

Seat-Installation.png

a view of a P-51 D-5NA cockpit with the WM seat

Group-Build.jpg

Secondly the Schick  Johnson seat 

P47.jpg

buick-P51-BC-seat-1-12.jpg

imageproxy-7.jpg

SJ seat visible in the 339th FG D-20 picture

potthoff.jpg

Edited by Antonio Argudo

6 hours ago, MikeC said:

Thanks, that's useful info on the seats.

1 hour ago, Uncarina said:

Antonio,

Thanks! Just the clarification that I and my planned D-15 build needed.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Mike and Tom, glad that this stuff is useful, John is a devoted Mustang expert, cheers

talking about seats, yesterday I decided to change the back cushion color  in to yellow, also wanted to use the Barracuda decal for it :) 

cheers

IMG-20200115-160603.jpg

IMG-20200115-160723.jpg

IMG-20200115-160543.jpg

10 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

This is out-of-sight!

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark, I can't say less about your work,  truly  inspirational mate!;) cheers

been working on the right cockpit sidewall, again Terrell's sims as a guide, used Barracudas cockpit resin  and placards decals,  added some white punched decals to represent the NAA inspection stickers also, cheers

Screenshot-2069.png

IMG-20200116-051736.jpg

IMG-20200116-051554.jpg

IMG-20200116-051649.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, PeterOlsen said:

Hi Antonio, nice cockpit, I'm enjoying your progress.

Cheers, 

Pete

thanks Peter, glad that you like it and are follow it, ;)cheers

On 1/16/2020 at 10:16 AM, dodgem37 said:

That's spectacular.

'I can't say less about your work,  truly  inspirational mate!'

Thank you, Brother.  I was in Madrid, Malaga, and Sevilla with side trips to Cordoba and Granada over the Winter Holiday.  Love Spain.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark,  glad to hear that you had fun in my country, I'm sure you enjoyed tapas and the sun of the south B) cheers

On 1/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Scale32 said:

Wow!

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks Bevan ;) 

So, the other sidewall is done now, hoping to close that fuselage halves pretty soon and move to the wheel bays which will be the next big task, thanks for looking, cheers

Screenshot-2082.png

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-20-at-00-19-17-2

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-20-at-00-19-16-2

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-20-at-00-19-12-3