Pacific Coast Models Fiat G 55- finito

chrish

This kit was talking to me throughout the  CF 18 build, calling louder to me through the EA 18 G build, yelling at me through the 109 G10 build!

I couldn't take it anymore I had to get a start on it.

If I progress to the end (it'll be OOB) it'll be in the splinter scheme included in the instructions and markings.

k3oYg7p.jpg

seLQlig.jpg

I had some issues with the wings and the wheel well inserts so take your time there. Otherwise it was not a bad model. That said mine sat on the shelf of doom for about 3 years until I finished it.

A really nice looking subject, I built the PCM kit a long time ago and found it challenging, a bit like Special Hobby kits but if you want a G55 it's the only game in town and with perseverance it turns out well.

Here is a link to my build over on Britmodeller, I was horrified when I looked at it as I had missed this thread when I replaced all the Photobucket images on my build threads on here and over there, they have now been replaced with Imageshack ones.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48434-pcm-fiat-g55-centauro/

Cheers

Dennis

Hi guys, and thanks for the input and warning signs of what’s ahead!

I bought this kit off the shelf at little hobby shop called Group two hobbies. Owned by a very friendly fellow named Duane.

I haven’t been in a converted house hobby shop stocked from floor to ceiling like his in years! Almost every kit in there is by a non “main stream” manufacturer.

I’ve got a start on the G55 as of now, I’m not sure if I’m test fitting the right parts in the right places but other than the exhaust outlets to engine section-engine section to cockpit,  I haven’t come across any really badly fitting parts.....so far.

From experience Chris ita normally the wing figment that's an issue on these kits, normally best to fit the upper wings to the fuselage and set the dihederal followed by adding the lower wing when dry.

Sounds like a pain but works very well. 

Regards. Andy 

Hi again, thanks for the encouragement and looking.

While standing on the shoulders of those who've come before me I have progressed fairly quickly (so far...never say whoa in a mud hole though!) Although to be honest the kit hasn't offered much so far in the way of surprises.

I found a fit issue with the cockpit sidewalls (the right side to be precise) and closer examination showed the firewall locator is out of alignment, so I cut a groove in it to allow the side wall to locate (pictures speak better than I do)

The left side ledge

8UQCCJ2.jpg

the right side, I carved a ledge in.

zkmu91U.jpg

The plastic in the cockpit area was also thinned, fist by scraping with a chisel then sanding fairly smooth, the picture shows the left side (thinned) and the right side for comparison 

oopXnkH.jpg

The rest of the images just show the stopping point I'm at as of tonight. Tamiya putty is the "white" in the offending seams.

JyUSXu1.jpg

XA1aLQC.jpg

2HqBM9I.jpg

Thanks for looking