CE Black Magic mask material

wmoran

I was going through some of my stash of old accessories and found several Cutting Edge Black Magic masking sets.  Having read the fairly recent posts about shrinkage of vinyl masks (primarily those made of Oramask 810), I looked the Black Magic masks over to see if they had shrinkage.  There was zero shrinkage on the sets I looked at.  I have not tested any of them to see if they have good adhesion, but there was zero shrinkage.  That lack of shrinkage is pretty remarkable considering they were stored for several years in a non-climate controlled storage unit in Wyoming, and then for a couple of years in my garage in Louisiana, so they have been through a broad temperature range.  They have always been in the original plastic bags, so no exposure to high or low humidity, just temperature extremes.

Does anyone know what material Cutting Edge used for these masks?  Also, if anyone has had experience using the masks, let us know how they performed.  I have numerous sets, but have never used one of them.

I, like you have several sets in my stash and they have always been stored in an air conditioned space in their original bags. I have not used any of them either but in looking them over after reading your post I found some with no shrinkage and several that had considerable shrinkage, enough that it may affect how they fit the intended subject. Why the difference I have no clue unless it was related to the temperature and climate at the time they were cut or they were cut from different materials.