Resin versus cyano over balsa?

Hi there everyone.

I'm wanting to sand some balsa and overlay it with either resin or cyano to give me a hard surface to scribe and rivet into after sanding smooth. Has anyone out there done this and which material would you choose to coat the raw balsa, resin or cyano glue?

Thanks in advance and happy new year,

Chuck.

Agree with K1. Its been a practice in R/C aircraft building for a long, long time. Just remember that with Balsa, if you mix the CA with micro-balloons or talc, the reaction of curing happens exponentially faster as the CA gets thinner.

why don't you use the underlaying balsa "mould" to heat-smash polistyrene plating over it, and doing that in relative smal parts, over the top and bottom of the balsa and glueing those parts, when adjusted,  to the balsa core? Then scribing and such would be no problem.

Lots of years ago i made a 1/32 Grumman Mohawk that way, but it was a mish-mash of different techniques, e.g. the wings were leftovers from other kits, even 1/48 scale parts, and build up to 1/32 dimensions.

34 minutes ago, ChuckT said:

I was thinking of using baking soda with the CA. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again.

baking soda and CA is usually applied to "cracks" in plastic parts, as you know it cures very rapidly, but i've never imagined it could be used on larger surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I haven't done it personally, but I know from the early days of Airfix magazine that coating balsa in CA or CA mixed with talcum powder has been a common practise for as long as both materials have co-existed.

Kev

CA?! You were lucky..... Nitrate dope and talc in my day!