Why Doesn't Eduard Make LSPs?

Thunnus

On 1/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, Tony T said:

Eduard's 1/48 MiG-21s are exquisite and the research deserves to be scaled-up, but they've stated they're not going down that road.

As for Airfix, just imagine a 1/32 Sea Vixen. Ain't gonna happen either, but they are announcing new tools at 15:00GMT on Monday 6th January.

Tony 

If Airfix release anything 1:32, it will be a car..... 

The Eduard 1/32 Bf 109 E was crap.  A humped back.  Terrible radiator shapes under the wings.   It's the first model I ever completed, published RFI photos then chucked into the bin.  If that's the best they can do in this day and age, maybe they had better stick to 1/48.

9 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

If Airfix release anything 1:32, it will be a car..... 

Slightly off-topic, but the right car in that scale is ideal for posing with a suitable LSP.  For example, I wish they'd re-release their original (ie not BMW) Mini.  https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2351df_ab25b159814248a2be548e29a3282017~mv2_d_2953_1978_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_579,h_388,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/2351df_ab25b159814248a2be548e29a3282017~mv2_d_2953_1978_s_2.webp

As for Eduard, I regret their decision to stay out of 1/32: they could undoubtedly have improved on the 109 (which is not so bad, I've got one in build one right now) if their form in 1/48 is anything to go by. 

12 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Dragon is hit and miss....  Their 110’s May be good but their P-51D was/is horrible.  Some of their armor is the same way.

I wouldn't say that. Their P-51 was their first large scale plane. When they started making AFV, their Nashorn was also absolutely horrible. To me this is more a learning curve issue and long trends motivated by business decisions. As soon as they allocated the correct resources, the kits became very nice. When they decreased such resources many years later, the quality (essentially the accuracy) went down (e.g. the so-called Black Label AFV series). 

1 hour ago, vince14 said:

Indeed - and that's a scale used for cars by...absolutely no-one else. It's 1/24 for everything except F1 cars (which are 1/20).

Not really. Japanese companies such as Hasegawa or Fujimi released many 1/32 cars and trucks. Monogram and AMT released some of them as well even if for sure the 1/24-25 scales stayed the kings of scales for civilian vehicles. And if you look at earlier kits such as Pyro or Lindberg ones, you will again find a lot of them. 

1/32 is Scalextric slot car scale. It's also 54mm figure scale. Napoleonic soldiers can service a Formula One in the pit stop.

Revell are doing a new tool E-type Jag this year in 1/24. Would go nicely with a new tool Airfix E E Lightning F.6.

Tony 

Reading some of the comments on this thread made me realize that I must have a very low bar when it comes to the accuracy of kits.  I have enjoyed most of the kits I have built over the years with only a few that did not make the finish line, and those were due to very bad fit issues rather than accuracy issues.  

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Not really. Japanese companies such as Hasegawa or Fujimi released many 1/32 cars and trucks. Monogram and AMT released some of them as well even if for sure the 1/24-25 scales stayed the kings of scales for civilian vehicles. And if you look at earlier kits such as Pyro or Lindberg ones, you will again find a lot of them. 

The Japanese companies (and everyone other mainstream manufacturer apart from Airfix) settled on 1/24 for cars many, many years ago - there's not a single car in either the Tamiya or Hasegawa catalogue that's in 1/32. 1/20 became the standard for F1 cars, and that's stuck too. The only car kits widely available nowadays in 1/32 are all either Airfix or re-pops of decades old kits.

I know why Airfix stick with 1/32 for cars - it ties in with Scalextric, which they also own - but it severely limits their potential pool of buyers. All the car modellers I know won't touch them, because they're in the 'wrong' scale.

1 hour ago, Greif8 said:

Reading some of the comments on this thread made me realize that I must have a very low bar when it comes to the accuracy of kits.  I have enjoyed most of the kits I have built over the years with only a few that did not make the finish line, and those were due to very bad fit issues rather than accuracy issues.  

I’m in the same camp, low bar I guess. I built their 1/32 109E and very much enjoyed the OOB build 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1113

The F6F for example:  I won’t build the Trump kit because they missed the shape big time that to my eye looks way off (my low bar was met). To my eye, Eduards 1/48 kit looks great (but I’m not that much of an accuracy hound since Hasegawa’s F6F cowling grin is an issue to some and it looks fine to me).   Eduards 1/32 -109E; I had no idea there were issues that caused folks send it on a one way trip to the trash bin. 

Collin

39 minutes ago, vince14 said:

The Japanese companies (and everyone other mainstream manufacturer apart from Airfix) settled on 1/24 for cars many, many years ago - there's not a single car in either the Tamiya or Hasegawa catalogue that's in 1/32. 1/20 became the standard for F1 cars, and that's stuck too. The only car kits widely available nowadays in 1/32 are all either Airfix or re-pops of decades old kits.

Well, they are possibly not in the last Hasegawa catalogue (frankly I did not check) but they released many Japanese cars and other vehicles (I know it as I have some of them). They even re-released 1/32 cars produced by other Japanese companies such as the Tomy Jaguar Ss100. I did not mention Tamiya but Fujimi that has released many 1/32 references with a large majority of them staying available. I did not mentioned F1 cars either as indeed such cars are very rare in 1/32 but I do not think the diorama possibilities combining planes and F1 cars are that common! Just check and you will be surprised by the number of rolling things that have already been done in that scale. 

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Which is perfectly fine.  People are interested in different things, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Imagine how boring the world would be if we all only liked and disliked the exact same things.

I hear you.  I blow hot and cold when it comes to accuracy I guess.  I often like to build aircraft connected with a specific pilot or air battle/campaign and I do try to get those as accurately marked, painted, weathered, etc. to match the actual plane.  However, I am definitely in the camp of "If it is close to being the correct shape, it is good enough for me."  As you say people are interested in different things and I admire those who put in the effort to correct inaccuracies; its just not often that that is my cup of tea.

I'm a little late to this topic, but if Dragon does get back into making 1/32 aircraft, someone could make a fortune drawing-up aftermarket instruction sheets that actually help to correctly assemble the kit.  Poor (being generous here) instructions are also Dragon's main point of failure in their armor kits.