109 cowl gun electrical question

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

This may already help:

Thierry 

Wow! That was 10 years ago?

The cowl guns were serviced by a number of conduits. There were cables with braided mesh, which were usually "silver" (or sometimes covered with a black rubber layer) and then there were pneumatic conduits for charging the guns, and these were usually  rubber hoses, which were black. Because the exposed "braided mesh" cables appear light-coloured in black-and-white photos, many interpret that light colour to mean "yellow! but it was usually silver. Braided mesh cables were used a lot in order to "screen" them against "signal interference" affecting radio equipment.
See some photos here: 

Me%20109%20K-4.jpg

Me%20109%20K-4%202.jpg

There is a long-standing "tradition" to paint yellow every filiform object inside a German aircraft, but try as much as you can to avoid that. As usual, the "internet consensus" is the result of years and years of lazy copy-and-paste. The truth is a bit more nuanced. 

Radu 

I agree most electrical wiring in Luftwaffe aircraft was surrounded by a braided sleeve. If uncovered, this sleeve was silvery-grey (metal) in color; it could also be rubberized on the outside (mainly in the engine compartment), in which case it would be black, or simply uncolorized rubber, which had a medium to dark grey color, possibly with a bit of a brownish tinge. The electrical wire inside this sleeve had a plastic jacket, which usually is either red or yellow, with yellow being most common. While usually hidden inside a braided sleeve, unsleeved wires are sometimes visible (e.g. wiring associated with the throttle, mixture and pitch control, the instrument panel, and behind the switchboard cover - the braided sleeving stops at the cover, behind the cover, the wiring is unsleeved).

Bottom line: specifically for the electrical wiring associated with the MG 131, it's best to go with either black rubber, or uncolorized rubber.

Also note, that as far as I'm aware, pneumatic lines for the cowl guns would only be associated with the MG 17 (used until the Bf 109G-4); the MG 131 was electromechanically cocked, and electrically fired. In case you're doing a G-10/U4 (a subvariant built exclusively built by WNF/Diana), pneumatic lines would be present for the MK 108 engine cannon, as this is pneumatically cocked.

• 1 year later...

Hi Spacewolf

this looks great. Did you finish your extensive project in the meantime? 

I have been through that same question for a conversion to F-4/Trop I recently presented in the forum. 

Maybe I can help you with information.

Regards, 

Nils